This tech cluster consists of the following tech centres:
- “Industry Automation” Tech Centre @ T1022-24
- “Robotics” Tech Centre @ W1201
- “Smart Health” Tech Centre @ T12A603
About the Centre
The Industry Automation Tech Centre develops advanced technologies and integrated solutions in industrial automation and control, and specialises in factory automation, process automation, instrumentations and control applications.
The Robotics Tech Centre develops robot solutions to meet the needs of Singapore’s infrastructure inspection, logistics, health care, transport, and edutainment industries.
The Smart Health Tech Centre develops healthcare solutions that are suitable for service environment and infrastructure through applied research and development of digital signal processing and biomedical technologies.
Capabilities and Technical Services
- Industry Automation Tech Centre provides
- PLC/DCS/SCADA/HMI/Fieldbus/Sensor solutions
- Process/Discrete/Instrumentation/Network/Virtualization technologies
- Automation system integration and control applications
- Robotics Tech Centre provides
- Development of cutting edge technologies for robotic systems
- Design of collaborative robot profiling and high profile motion and sensing mechanism
- Application development on navigation and mapping in dynamic environments
- Smart Health Tech Centre provides
- Research on digital signal processing and image processing technologies.
- Applications and solutions developed especially for healthcare industry.
- Development in areas of medical diagnosis and medical devices for health monitoring.
Distributed Process System Project
The project provides and showcases the automation process and distributed control of plants. It aims to showcase the industry process and model solutions on how control and instrumentation are used in wide area distributed sys
Social Robot Project
This project aims to develop a social android robot. The social robot serves as a research tool to learn more about the human interaction with machine.
Intelli-Sense Bed reduces occurrence of bed sores in elderly and bedridden patients while reducing nurses’ workload. This system is capable of monitoring the position of the patient on the bed as well as the temperature of the bed.
Smart Service AGV Customized for Lean Manufacturing
The project develops smart service AGV system that is equipped with intelligent, autonomous and self-optimising control mechanism. It provides a mobile platform where it delivers materials to designated workplaces effectively. The project designs and develops a prototype of a customized AGV powered by a wireless charging system using inductive energy transfer. The wireless charging technology has been applied by the collaborator SEW EURODRIVE.
Development of Multi-Arm Cooperative System for Service Robots
This project aims to develop a multi-arm cooperative system for service robots that is able to accomplish tasks with multiple arms. The robotic arm is able to adapt to new environment and new roles when working along with a robot platform that serves people. The multi-arm robot system is intelligent enough to detect and identify objects and has human-like grasping functions that enable it to pass objects to people. Research has been conducted through the collaboration with ABB Robotics.
System For Automated Assessment Of Rehabilitative Reach And Grasp
This is an objective assessment system for upper limb rehabilitation and provides real-time feedback for therapists and patients. The project focuses on one of the Action Research Arm Test (ARAT) sub-tests, which looks at the reach and grasping ability of a patient. It involves grasping and moving a cube which can detect tremors and force exerted in grasping and acceleration. Research has been conducted through collaborations with Nanyang Technological University, National University Hospital, BioFIT Technology and Services.
Courses and Seminars
The centre offers the following courses under the training program, ‘WDA Advanced Certificate Training in Process Technology’:
- Link Process Instrumentation & Measurement Devices
- Apply IT and Network in Control Applications
- Perform Basic Control for Process Plant
- Perform Advanced Control for Process Plant
- Implement PLC in Control Systems
- Install and Configure Fieldbus Control System
The centre offers short courses in the following areas:
Courses & Seminars
- Foundation Fieldbus Technology
- Profibus Fieldbus Technology
- Devicenet and Ethernet/IP
- Advanced Instrumentation
- Smart Sensors and Data Acquisition
- Factory Automation
- Process Automation
- Industrial Networks and Applications.
The Process Workforce Skills Qualifications (Process WSQ) is a national continuing education and training system for adult workers designed jointly by the industry and Skills Future Singapore (SSG), to determine the competencies required by the Process Industry. This course is a module (Competency Code PI-PEM-302E-1) in the Singapore Workforce Skill Qualification (WSQ) Advanced Certificate in Process Technology (Engineering Services). Currently, modules are offered in PLC and Fieldbus Control System.
||Mr Chung O.J.
Cluster Tech Leader (Automation and Robotics) Technology Leader (Automation), School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Phone: (65)6879 0691
Fax: (65)6772 1974
||Dr Carlos Acosta
Technology Leader (Robotics), School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Phone: (65)6870 4896
Fax: (65)6772 1974
||Dr Arun Kumar
Technology Leader (Smart Health), School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Phone: (65)6870 4892
Fax: (65)6772 1974
Back to the top.