The Electronics Systems & Semiconductor Tech Cluster is set up to address the needs of the industry, focusing on developing capability in design and implementing embedded systems technology, electronic systems design and semiconductor technology.
The cluster consists of the following tech centres:
- Embedded Systems Tech Centre @ T12A703 and T12A704
- IC Design & Nanofab Tech Centre @ T12A203, T12201 and T12202
About the Centre
These two centres are part of the core Technology Centres under the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. They are project development centres with technical support from the academic staff who are actively involved in technology projects. They also provide students with facilities to work on a variety of projects.
The Embedded Systems Tech Centre supports the platform for staff and students with facilities to carry out wide spectrum of embedded technology projects. The Centre actively seeks industry collaboration to develop solutions for industry applications. This allows students to solve real world problems, preparing them to be work ready.
The IC Design and Nanofabrication Tech Centre was established in 2000. It provides the facilities to support the Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering to train students for the semiconductor industry and technology development in the area of IC design, Wafer Fabrication, Micro-Electromechanical Systems (MEMS), Micro/Nanofabrication, Flexible Electronics and Photovoltaic (PV) cell. The Nanofabrication centre is located in T12A203 and IC Design/Electronic System design lab in T12201-02. It comprises a 450-square metre cleanroom of class 100 & class 1000 and houses the facilities for designing, fabrication and testing of Integrated Circuits, MEMS, Flexible Electronics and PV cell. The IC Design lab houses workstations with IC Design software such as Cadence and Xilinx software.
The two centres seek collaboration with industry and academic/research institutes in joint R&D and industry projects involving staff/students to improve competencies in the area of embedded solutions, electronic systems design, IC design & nanofabrication. In addition, they also provide customised courses to retrain and upgrade manpower for electronic and semiconductor industries.
Capabilities and Technical Services
The two centres specialise in R&D and applied projects in the following technology areas:
- Design and enhancement of projects using Embedded Solutions.
- Customisation of Embedded Systems for industry applications.
- Electronic Systems Design (FPGA, SoC, IC Design).
- Microfabrication (MEMS).
- Flexible Electronics (printed electronics).
The centres provide the facilities and have the processing capabilities for Wafer Fabrication, PV cell, MEMS and Flexible Electronics. They also offer consultancy work in embedded solutions, electronic system design and Micro-fabrication.
Some of the projects are: Smart Embedded Systems: Smart Bike Alarm, Intelligent Lighting System, Smart Embedded Solutions for Toilets.
|Custom IC/FPGA-based design:
- Car Park Controller
- Microcontroller core
- Communication router
- Sensor control circuit
- Robotic Soccer Image Processor
- Serial Communication Protocol
- Analog IC : CMOS voltage regulator, filter and operational amplifier
|MEMS/Clean Energy/Display Devices:
- Carbon Nanotube (CNT) applications
- PV cell (crystalline silicon and polymer)
- Micro-fuel cell
- Microfluidic applications
- Micro-grippers, micro-assay chip
- Micro Opto-fluidic switch/lens
- Micro-pump, micro-valve and micro-mixer
- Particle Sorter
- Energy Harvester
- Flexible sensors
The centre has worked with the following partners:
- Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
- National University of Singapore(NUS)
- Defence Science Organisation (DSO)
- Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD)
- A*Star institutions
Courses and Seminars
The centre conducts courses and seminars in the following areas:
- Embedded Solutions
- Wafer Fabrication
- IDEMA courses for disk drive industry
- Clean room micro contamination control and management
- Vacuum Technology
- Micro-fabrication processes; photolithography, etching, deposition, etc
- Maintenance training for cleanroom equipment
- Micro-ElectroMechanical Systems (MEMS)
- IC Design
||Ms Cassandra Low Lee Ngo
Technology Leader, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 6772 1247
Fax: 6772 1974
||Mr Lui Siew Kwok
Technology Leader (Embedded Systems), School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 6772 1974
Back to the top.