Collaboration with ICAEW and CIMA
SP has developed close partnerships with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
Students have the opportunity to take an online test and be awarded the internationally recognised ICAEW Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business (CFAB) whilst in their second Year of studies in SP. There are also numerous networking and skills development sessions for students to meet with industry. SP is also offering a pathway after graduation for students to obtain the full UK Chartered Accountant qualification, whilst working with Big 4 and other reputable employers.
Students can also obtain the Diploma in Management Accounting from CIMA whilst still in school, and have the option to pursue the full CIMA qualification as well.
These collaborations open up many doors for our students to develop professionally at an accelerated pace.
SP-CIMA Memorandum signing
ICAEW networking session.
The DAC Leadership Exploration and Development (LEAD) scholarship programme is offered to students who want to excel academically and stretch themselves further beyond the normal curriculum to maximise their potential.
As part of the program, LEAD scholars will be offered various opportunities to attend business networking sessions, take advanced modules, participate in community service projects, take on paid teaching assistantship, and participate in overseas immersion program and leadership camps.
One of the key highlights of the programme is the “People’s Association – SP Business School Community Leadership Programme”, which involves students participating in the Youth Executive Committees within their grassroots Community Clubs.
Through the various exposures, students will be honed in strong communication and networking skills, apply their accounting knowledge and concepts, and also make a positive contribution to community service.
Hosting of students from China Immersion programme.
Volunteering at ComChest Orange Day under the Care & Share Movement.
Location and facilities
- SP is centrally located and it is the only one of two polytechnics in Singapore to have a MRT station at its doorstep.
- Wide selection of food choices e.g. McDonald’s, Starbucks, Subway, IIao IIao, Yakun, Koufu.
- Specialised DAC Accounting Collaboration Room.
- Full sheltered access to all lecture theatres and tutorial rooms.
- Ample study spaces which are fitted with power socket points.
Flexible elective options
In the final year, students are given the chance to pursue a basket for flexible elective options, namely:
- Applied Internship Practicum: This is a 6 month internship placement with structured on the job training in Big 4 and other corporates.
- Finance Option: Students will do the 3 month internship placement and take 3 finance modules, namely Financial Markets, Investment and International Trade Finance and Documentation that can give them insights into the financial markets and trading.
- International Business Option: Students will do the 3 month internship placement and take 3 international business modules, namely Principles of Global Marketing, Global Business Environment and Cultural Intelligence to give them insights into how international markets work.
- Information Technology Option: Students will do the 3 month internship placement and take 3 IT modules, namely Fundamentals of Electronic Business, Web Publishing and Fundamentals of Spreadsheet Programming to give them skills in IT that can be applied in the workplace.
- Integrated Accounting Practise Option: Students will do the 3 month internship placement and do a final year project that integrates knowledge in all aspects of financial reporting, management reporting and auditing as applied to a stock broking firm.
Diploma Plus programme
Students can take an additional qualification whilst in SP in another discipline that is totally different from their main course of study. These courses are conducted in the evenings or during the holidays. They can do a Certificate in the following areas:
- Applied Psychology
- Design Thinking
- Software Programming and Applications
- Theatre Performance and Production