Ministry of Education Brunei Darussalam and Singapore Polytechnic jointly launch Collaboration to Establish the Brunei Maritime Academy
Singapore, 6 February 2014 - Singapore Polytechnic (SP) today signed a Service Agreement with the Department of Technical Education, Ministry of Education Brunei Darussalam to embark on a new programme that will enhance Maritime Education and Training in Brunei Darussalam.
The Ministry of Education, Ministry of Communications and Energy Department at the Prime Minister’s Office Brunei Darussalam, and Singapore Polytechnic (SP) have initiated a new collaboration that will enhance maritime education and training in Brunei Darussalam.
The Ministry of Education, Brunei Darussalam has invited the Singapore Maritime Academy, Singapore Polytechnic (SMA), and Singapore Polytechnic International (SPI) to provide consultancy services to establish the Brunei Maritime Academy (BMA) which will offer a range of competency-based qualifications training for the maritime industry in Brunei Darussalam. The newly established BMA will be under the purview of the Ministry of Education, driven by the Energy Department at the Prime Minister’s Office and supported by the Ministry of Communications.
This 30-month collaboration that will commence in February 2014 will see SMA/SPI working closely with BMA through a series of consultancy services and training sessions on the following-
• Level II to IV Training Capability Building: To establish and enhance BMA’s level II to IV training capability that will lead to the award of Certificate of Competency (COC) Class 5 for Officers of Engineering Watch Deep Sea Voyage (OEW DSV COC) and Class 3 Officers of Navigation Watch Deep Sea Voyage (ONW DSV COC) which include developing curricula, instructional materials and other necessary training resources in accordance with established competency map:
- Basic Occupational Safety and Security Training Programme;
- Deck Rating Programme;
- Engine Rating Programme;
- Officers of Engineering Watch Near Coastal Voyage Programme;
- Officers of Engineering Watch Deep Sea Voyage Conversion Programme;
- Officers of Navigation Watch Near Coastal Voyage Programme;
- Officers of Navigation Watch Deep Sea Voyage Conversion Programme;
• Train-the-Trainers: To establish an Instructor/Assessor Training System in accordance with International Maritime Organization Model Course 6.09 and 3.12:
- SMA/SPI will carry out 6 capacity building training workshops 15 BMA staff to become qualified instructors and assessors in accordance with International Maritime Organization (IMO) standards;
• Maritime Education and Training Quality Assurance System: To establish a Quality Assurance System in accordance with the Standards for Quality in Maritime Education and Training (QMET):
- SMA/SPI will conduct workshops for 15 instructors/assessors in Maritime Education and Training Quality Assurance System and guide BMA in the setting up and implementation of this system;
Signing the document on behalf of Brunei Ministry of Education was Dr. Chin Wei Keh, Acting Director of Technical Education, meanwhile General Manager, Mr. Lee Leck Seng, signed on behalf of Singapore Polytechnic International.
Present as the guest of honour to witness the signing was Brunei Minister of Education, Yang Berhormat Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Kerna Dato Seri Setia Awang Haji Abu Bakar bin Haji Apong.
Also present at the event were Brunei Minister of Communication, Yang Berhormat Pehin Orang Kaya Hamzah Pahlawan Dato Seri Setia Haji Abdullah bin Begawan Mudim Dato Paduka Haji Bakar, Brunei Minister of Energy at Prime Minister’s Office, Yang Berhormat Pehin Datu Singamanteri Kolonel (B) Dato Seri Setia (Dr) Awang Haji Mohammad Yasmin bin Haji Umar, Singapore High Commissioner to Brunei, His Excellency Mr.Jaya Ratnam.
Temasek Foundation (TF), Singapore as a partner to this collaboration, will make a goodwill contribution to support the implementation of the Maritime Education and Training Quality Assurance System component This project is expected to make a significant impact on the training capabilities of BMA to produce competent maritime professionals to meet the needs of the industry in Brunei Darussalam.
Temasek Foundation’s contribution to this collaboration makes this the sixteenth capability building training partnership between TF and SP since 2008 in a total of eight countries, including Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.
From left to right: Dr. Zamri Sabli, Assistant Director, Department for Technical Education, Ministry of Education, Brunei Darussalam; Dr. Chin Wei Kiat, Acting Director, Department for Technical Education, Ministry of Education, Brunei Darussalam; Minister of Education Brunei Darussalam, Yang Berhormat Pehin Dr. Haji Abu Bakar Bin Haji Apong; Minister for Communications Brunei Darussalam, Yang Berhormat Pehin Haji Abdullah Bin Begawan Mudim Haji Bakar; Mr. Lee Leck Seng, General Manager, Singapore Polytechnic International; Mr. Goh Teik Poh, Member of Board of Governors, Singapore Polytechnic
Pictured in the centre shaking hands, on the left, Dr. Chin Wei Kiat, Acting Director, Department for Technical Education, Ministry of Education, Brunei Darussalam, and on the right, General Manager, Singapore Polytechnic International; Mr. Lee Leck Seng
For more information, please contact:
Ms Marilyn Tan Ms Norazlina Ohman
Corporate Communications Dept Ministry of Education, Brunei Darussalam
Singapore Polytechnic E: [email protected]
T: 6772 1350
M 9011 9931
E: [email protected]
About Singapore Polytechnic (www.sp.edu.sg)
Established in 1954, Singapore Polytechnic (SP) is Singapore’s first polytechnic. It has 10 schools that offer 49 full-time diploma courses for close to 16,000 students. SP has adopted a proven creative teaching and learning framework and it offers students a holistic, authentic and industry-relevant curriculum, innovative and vibrant learning spaces, and enriching overseas programmes.
The Polytechnic is committed to producing competent and versatile graduates, who are also imbued with sound values, so that they can be work ready, life ready and world-ready. Among the network of more than 170,000 SP alumni are successful entrepreneurs, top executives in multinational and public-listed corporations, and well-known professionals across various industries and leaders in government.
SP is the first polytechnic to be awarded the President’s Award for the Environment in 2010 and the President's Social Service Award in 2011.
Follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/singaporepolytechnic or Twitter at http://twitter.com/SingaporePoly.
About Temasek Foundation (www.temasekfoundation.org.sg)
Temasek Foundation is a non-profit philanthropic organisation anchored in Singapore that seeks to contribute to sustainable growth and a bright future of hope and opportunities for people in Asia. The foundation works with partners to support programmes that develop people through health care, education and research, programmes that build bridges between peoples, programmes that build institutions of excellence through governance and ethics, and programmes that rebuild lives and livelihoods affected by natural disasters.
About Department of Technical Education, Ministry of Education (Brunei Darrusalam)
Department of Technical Education was established in early 1993 as one of the Departments within the Ministry of Education (MOE). The Technical Education was established with two main aims, firstly to plan, coordinate and evaluate the implementation of VTE and training programmes in addressing the socio-economic demands of Brunei Darussalam and secondly to support and promote the development of human resources through the provision of VTE services to the community, the government and the private sector.
DTE is currently undergoing transformation, and one of its initiatives under the DTE strategic plan 2013-2018 is to ensure high employability rate of graduates. This will be achieved through introduction and restructuring of demand-oriented programmes for the new Brunei Technical Education.
Vocational and Technical Education has gone through a number of significant milestones in its development. Amongst these milestones are:
• The establishment of the Brunei Darussalam Technical and Vocational Council (BDTVEC) in 1991 to take over the responsibility of awarding VTE qualifications.
• The establishment of the Department of Technical Education in 1993
• Brunei Darussalam’s membership in the Woorld Skills Organisation on 10th May 2004 (38th Member)
• Brunei Darussalam as host country to the 6th ASEAN Skills Competition in September 2006.
• Collaboration between Energy Department, Prime Minister’s Office (EDPMO) and Department of Technical Education (DTE)
• Partnership with industries (EDPMO, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Communication and Oil & Gas Industries