Leave of Absence from Semestral Examination
- A student who is absent without a valid reason from the semestral examination for a module shall be considered to have failed the module.
- If a student has a valid reason for missing the semestral examination, he can apply for leave of absence (LOA) from semestral examination using the online LOA application via the Student Portal.
- Where the reason for absence from the semestral examination is known beforehand, the student must submit his application for leave of absence from the semestral exam before the day of the examination. For all other reasons for absence, which could not be known beforehand, such application for leave of absence must be submitted within 2 working days from the day of absence.
Note: For leave of absence due to illness, only medical certificates issued by medical practitioners registered with the Singapore Medical Council will be accepted. (Exception: Malaysian students residing in JB may submit medical certificates issued in JB.) All other medical certificates, for example, those issued by Chinese physicians, are not accepted.
- Students are not to assume that their application for leave of absence has been approved, they should check the Student Portal for the application status or email in their ichat email closer to the period applied for. They must check with their respective School should they have any doubts.
- Where a student is granted leave of absence from the semestral exam, the module shall be removed from the list of modules registered by him for that semester and he shall not be considered to have made one attempt in the examination for that module. The student must attend all classes and sit for all assessments for the module in a subsequent semester in which that module is offered, subject to the maximum number of modules allowed for that stage of study and the constraints of the class time-table.
- Notwithstanding Paragraph (5) above, a student who is granted leave of absence from the semester examination may apply to the Director of his School to be exempted from attending classes for the subsequent sitting and/or to be allowed to carry forward his past in-course assessed component marks. The application will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The application procedure may be obtained from the student's School.
- A student shall only be granted one deferment for each of the modules that he is taking.
- A student allowed to sit for the semestral examinations without grade (only Pass/Fail awarded) would not be granted leave of absence from exams for that module.