Negotiating Use of Facilities
When renting a room with a family, you may want to consider the following questions.
- Will the utilities be included in the rent that you pay?
- Can you use their washing machine? If so, how many times per week?
- Can you use their water heater?
- Can you use the kitchen to prepare meals? If so, are there specific hours for you to do your cooking?
- Are there food items you are not allowed to bring into the flat?
- How about the use of their fridge?
- Will you be able to use their telephone to make local calls/long distance calls?
- Are there specific times when you cannot use the telephone?
- What is the length of time you can talk on the telephone?
- Do you have access to the TV?
- What are your responsibilities regarding house-cleaning?
- Do they have curfew hours?
- Can your friends visit you? Is there a limit to the number of friends who can visit at any one time?
- Are overnight/weekend guest permitted?