An eye opening experience
The 5th ASEAN Optometric Conference (AOC), organised by Singapore Optometric Association (SOA), was held in Singapore between 13 and 14 November 2014 at Marina Mandarin Singapore. AOC is a biannual conference comprising of Optometrists and researchers from ASEAN as well as other regions to share contemporary research and clinical findings. This is in fact the first time the conference was being held in Singapore, with the theme “Optometrists – Advancing Primary Eye Care”. Mdm Halimah Yacob, Speaker of Parliament & MP for Jurong GRC, graced the opening ceremony of the conference as the Guest of Honour.
The Conference provided an update on the ASEAN demographics with regards to refractive errors, advances in ophthalmic lenses and contact lenses as well as the changing trends in providing primary eye care in optometric practices. Close to 600 delegates from all over the world attended the conference with more than 20 guest speakers and 39 scientific posters. Singapore Polytechnic (SP) Diploma in Optometry (DOPT) year 2 and final year students, supported by SOA members, were involved in the logistics and management of the event. They received commendation from Dr Koh Liang Hwee, President of SOA, during the Gala Dinner for their involvement.
SP Optometry staff contributed five scientific posters and an oral presentation. A scientific session also was chaired by SP Optometry staff.
Scientific contributions from SP staff:
- Fundus auto-fluorescence distribution in the central 55ᵒ captured by confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscope – Ms Teresa Tee (oral presentation)
- Awareness and perception of severe vision loss and other smoking related conditions among Singapore Optometrists – Ms Yeoh Ling Tzi and Dr Zhu Mingxia
- Influence of dissociation on associated phoria measurements – Ms Michelle Lim Li Yun
- Radial Deformation Acuity: A good clinical tool for Optometrists! – Dr Narayanan Rajeev and Ms Raja Liyana
- Reliability of Cambridge colour test – Ms Kallakuri Sumasri
- To assess the retinal changes in type 2 Diabetes Mellitus subjects using the optical coherence tomography – Ms Kallakuri Sumasri
Dr Zhu Mingxia (right) and Ms Yeoh Ling Tzi
Ms Michelle Lim Li Yun
Dr Narayanan Rajeev (right) and Ms Raja Liyana
Ms Kallakuri Sumasri
Click here for the media release from SOA (released on the side-lines of the AOC) about the role of optometry in primary eye care is found below: