What is this course about?
The Process Workforce Skills Qualifications (Process WSQ) is a national continuing education and training system designed for adult workers, jointly by the industry and Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA), to determine the competencies required by the Process Industry.
It aims to support and facilitate specialized training and skills development to enhance the workforce, which will lead to an increase in the industry’s overall competitiveness and productivity.
This competency-based course aims to train personnel to be competent to install and programme PLC in control systems at the workplace.
This course is a module (Competency Code PI-PEM-302E-1) in the Singapore Workforce Skill Qualification (WSQ) Advanced Certificate in Process Technology (Engineering Services).
Singapore Polytechnic launched a course leading to the Advanced Certificate in Process Technology. There are six technical modules and five non-technical modules. The six technical modules are:
- Link Process Instrumentation & Measurement Devices (Total 42 hrs)
- Apply IT and Network in Control Applications (Total 48 hrs)
- Perform Basic Control for Process Plant (Total 36 hrs)
- Perform Advanced Control for Process Plant (Total 36 hrs)
- Implement PLC in Control Systems (Total 50 hrs)
- Install and Configure Fieldbus Control System (Total 36 hrs)
This module “Perform Basic Control for Process Plant” is one of the technical modules dealing with process control basics and controller characteristics.
Engineers, technicians, technical supervisors and other personnel whose work scope is involved with or related to the design, operation, installation and maintenance of systems such as automation, control, measurement and instrumentation, monitoring, industrial network and communication and PLCs. The course is also suitable for people who intend to make a conversion to these technical areas in their career pursuit. The course requires the participants to have a basic understanding of electrical and electronic circuits and to be PC savvy.
Assumed Skills and Knowledge
Participants are assumed to:
- be able to interpret basic technical drawings and blueprints
- have basic competencies in using common electrical and electronics measuring instruments
- have basic IT competencies including PC based skills
- have competencies in mathematical calculations equivalent to the Employability Skills System (ESS) level 6
- be able to listen, read, speak and write English at a proficiency level equivalent to the ESS level 6
* Eligibility for WDA Funding:
- Singaporean and PRs (company sponsored or self sponsored)
- Achieve at least 75% attendance
- Complete and pass all required assessments
||Course Fee (excl. GST)
||With WDA Funding
||Priority in Registration & Placement|
||Link Process Instrumentation & Measurement Devices
|Apply IT and Network in Control Applications
|Perform Basic Control for Process Plant
||Perform Advanced Control for Process Plant
|Implement PLC in Control Systems
|Install and Configure Fieldbus Control System
||Plan and manage a project
- Select the hardware components for a PLC system
- Connect I/O devices to a PLC
- Program PLC system
- Trouble-shoot PLC programs
Mode of Assessment
- Written test
- Practical test
- Oral test
Participants will be assessed on their competencies in this module through oral assessment, practical tests and theory tests. Upon passing the module, participants will receive Statement of Attainment (SOA) for the module. If a participant passed all six technical modules and five non-technical modules, he/she will obtain the WSQ Advanced Certificate in Process Technology.
Participants will be awarded WSQ Statement of Attainment if they meet 75% attendance rate as well as passing all assessments required by this course.
Applicants may apply for the course with the available schedule online.
Applicants who are successfully selected for the course will receive confirmation letter via email.
During the enrolment exercise, applicant is required to present the following documents for verification:
- originals of education qualifications and documentation
- confirmation letter
A copy of each document will be retained by the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy.
Singapore Polytechnic, its governors, officers, agents and employees shall not be liable for any loss, damages and/or injury, including loss of life, which participants of our Courses may suffer arising out of or in connection with our Courses, whether the loss, damage and/or injury was suffered on any of Singapore Polytechnic's premises or at any other venue(s) in connection with our Courses.
A - Cheque Payment :
Please raise a cheque made in favour of Singapore Polytechnic, write the Course Title and your name on the reverse of the cheque and mail it to:
Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy
500 Dover Road
B - NETS or Cash Payment :
To pay at the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy counter at 500 Dover Road, Blk T1A, Level 1, Room T1A12
NETS Payment: Mondays to Fridays - 8.00 am to 8.30 pm
Cash Payment: Mondays to Fridays - 8.00 am to 12.30 pm and 2.00 pm to 5.00 pm
Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy via email to email@example.com. For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:
· 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
· Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
· On or after date of commencement - No refund
* Unless otherwise stated in the course webpage
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.
* PACE Academy course schedules, course trainer, course fees and course availability are subject to change without prior notice.
Terms and Conditions
Back to top