Diploma in Chemical Engineering (DCHE) in Singapore Polytechnic (SP) is the FIRST chemical engineering diploma course in the World to adopt Conceive-Design-Implement-Operate (CDIO) educational framework, which is based on commonly shared premise that our students should be able to conceive, design, implement and operate complex value-added systems in modern team-based engineering environment to create systems and products. Some of our CDIO collaborators are Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, Tsinghua University, China, Queensland University of Technology, Australia and The University of Liverpool, United Kingdom.
By adopting the CDIO educational framework, we transform traditionally boring and dry engineering education to an exciting and purposeful one that balances theoretical knowledge with realistic applications of chemical engineering principles. Our students are thus able to:
- Conceive: Identify and define real world problems with critical thinking
- Design: Approach any problem effectively and propose its possible solutions with creative thinking
- Implement: Apply and evaluate possible solutions with systems thinking
- Operate: Optimise and improve final selected solution to ensure its functionality, practicality and sustainability
In addition, our students are imbued with skills in teamwork, communication, ethics, responsibility as well as life-long learning.
A list of modules that are offered to all our students in their three-year education with us is tabulated below.
In addition to the core modules listed, students have the opportunity to pursue free elective modules in the area of their particular interest from the following sub-sectors:
Elective Modules in Petrochemical Engineering
Elective Modules in Biopharmaceutical Engineering
Elective Modules in Environmental Engineering
Elective Modules in Petrochemical, Biopharmaceutical and Environmental Engineering
- Petrochemical Engineering
- Biopharmaceutical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
In year 3, students will go for a 22-week enhanced internship in the Energy and Chemical sector:
: Course structure subjected to change.