Most countries in the world are grappling with an aging population as well as an obesity epidemic. Singapore is no different. Based on figures provided by the Singapore government, the number of elderly citizens aged 65 years and above will triple to 900,000 by the year 2030. On top of that, 40% of adults here aged 18 to 69 are overweight. Of these, 10% of them are obese. With this backdrop, the demand for healthy lifestyle services and products have been increasing in Singapore over the last few years and the industry is in need of suitably qualified healthy lifestyle professionals to meet this demand. Having an integrated knowledge in sound nutrition and optimal exercise is essential for professionals working in the health and fitness industry to help combat rising obesity and aging-related ailments.
This diploma course aims to provide learners with an integrated education focusing on nutrition and exercise science so that students can acquire a holistic education in health and fitness. It also enhances occupational and personal competencies for better career enhancement in the health and fitness industry.
The course aims to provide the participants with the:
- Understanding of the science of nutrition and the importance of nutritional adequacy and balance for optimal growth and health.
- Understanding of the role of nutrition in disease prevention and management.
- Overview and appreciation of the underlying principles and practice involved in the evolving field of exercise and sports nutrition.
- Understanding of the physiological principles that explain how the human body functions during exercise.
- Ability to apply the knowledge of exercise physiology in the fitness and performance arena to attain general wellness levels and achieve maximum performance in sport or exercise.
- Understanding of the process of evaluating and diagnosing movement inefficiencies, thereby improving movement quality and reduce injuries.
This post-diploma certificate course provides an understanding of nutrition and exercise science concepts relevant to the health and fitness industry. Topics covered include applied nutrition, diet and disease, sports nutrition, exercise physiology, physical fitness conditioning and exercise prescription and exercise rehabilitation. Students will also gain hands-on experience in laboratory work and practical sessions.
Individuals who are working in the health and fitness industry and who are looking to deepen their nutrition and exercise science knowledge will benefit from the course.
Minimum Entry Requirements
Applicants need to have a minimum diploma qualification in science, technology or engineering from recognised institutions.
Individuals with a minimum diploma qualification but not in science, technology or engineering but with 3 years of relevant working experience in nutrition and fitness industry will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may be subjected to interviews or tests before they will be considered for enrolment.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Applicants who do not meet the entry requirements may be considered for admission to the course based on evidence of at least 5 years of relevant working experience or supporting evidence of competency readiness. Suitable applicants who are shortlisted will have to go through an interview and/or entrance test. The Polytechnic reserves the right to shortlist and admit applicants.
This modular certificate course is presented through lectures, and practical sessions. Participants will undergo a structured 12-month program over two semester periods. Conceptual knowledge and principles are presented in lectures while practical and assignments reinforce the understanding. Learning outcomes are tested by way of written tests, quizzes, assignments and practical tests.
This course consists of 2 post diploma certificates (PDCs). Each PDC comprises of 3 modules and the details are shown below. Each module has 45 hours of teaching.
Please click here for Module Synopsis
PDC1 Certificate in Nutrition
Module 1 - Applied Nutrition
Module 2 - Diet and Disease
Module 3 - Sports Nutrition
PDC2 Certificate in Exercise Science
Module 1 - Exercise Physiology
Module 2 - Physical Fitness Conditioning and Exercise Prescription
Module 3 - Exercise Rehabilitation
All participants are required to attend three evening classes per week, from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm. There are 15 weeks in one semester.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Upon completion of 2 Post-Diploma Certificates, the participant will be conferred Specialist Diploma in Nutrition and Exercise Science from Singapore Polytechnic
|Specialist Diploma in Nutrition and Exercise Science
|Post Diploma Certificates (PDC)
Singapore Citizens Below the age of 40
|Singapore Citizens Aged 40 and above
||Enhanced Training Support for SME scheme
||Workfare Training Support Scheme
|Certificate in Nutrition
|Certificate in Exercise Science
|Total Course Fees:
Other Fees Payable:
||Per semester (after GST)
||Singapore PR and others
|Statutory Licence Fee (CLASS)
- The fees shown (inclusive of 7% GST) are indicative as they are based on prevailing funding policies and subject to review.
- Post Diploma Module Certificate fee is payable on a semester basis.
- Post Diploma course participants who submit the withdrawal notification 2 weeks before course commencement, an administrative fee of $50 (before GST) would be levied.
Terms and Conditions
Back to top