What is this course about?
This course is specially designed to impart refraction skills to opticians with no previous experience in refraction.
Course Entry Requirement
Applicants must possess:
- Certificate of Performance in ACOPOD issued by Singapore Polytechnic ONLY
- Must be employed as a FULL-TIME staff by an optical outlet in Singapore.
1. Most suitable registrant will be selected on a 1st come 1st served basis.
2. Applicants who do not meet the entry requirement will not be accepted into the course.
3. PACE deserves the rights to drop participants from the course for any submission of inaccurate or false declaration.
This course is designed to impart refraction skills to opticians who have successfully completed the Advance Certificate of Performance in Ophthalmic Dispensing.
The course duration is 6 months, delivered part-time with One-the-Job-Training assignments.
It will include modules such as vision and visual acuity, objective and subjective refraction techniques, near additions for presbyopes and hands-on refraction practice.
1. Vision and visual acuity
2. Objective and subjective refraction techniques
3. Near additions for presbyopes
4. Hands-on refraction practice
5. OJT (On-the-Job-Training Assignments)
Type of Funding: Training Grant and Absentee Payroll Only
Support level: CAT B, Certifiable (Non-WSQ), External, PME (CF with AP), Eligible for MCES, SME, WTS
- Singaporeans & SPRs
- Achieve at least 75% attendance in the course
- Complete and pass all required assessments within 1 month after course ends
For more details pertaining to funding, please refer to http://www.skillsconnect.gov.sg/
SkillsFuture Credit (SFC)
With effect from January 2016, Singaporeans aged 25 years and above who received their SkillsFuture Credit account activation letter will be eligible for an initial credit of $500 which can be used to pay for course fees for a range of eligible skills-related courses. The credits can be used on top of existing course fee subsidies/funding.
This is only applicable for self-sponsored applicants. Application via SkillsFuture Portal can only be made starting from 60 days before the course commencement date.
Mode of Assessment
Participants are required to pass assigned practical tests, written tests and fulfilled required assignments.
Participants are required to sit for examination at the end of the course.
A Certificate of Performance will be issued to every participant whose attendance is not less than 75% and has sat and passed the written examination.
1) Application is through online only.
2) Please note that the following supporting documents (scanned copies) are to be uploaded during online application.
- A copy of ACOPOD Certificate of Performance issued by Singapore Polytechnic.
- Letter of current employment
- Completed declaration form with the required supporting documents.
3) Original documents are required for verification during the enrolment exercise.
4) Successful applicants will be notified via email to come for enrolment and make payment (NETS or cheque).
5) Confirmed enrolment is based on a first-come, first-served basis, upon full payment of the course fee. Registration does not guarantee enrolment in the course.
6) Complete applications will be processed within 3-4 weeks and you will be notified on the application outcome status via email.
Singapore Polytechnic, its governors, officers, agents and employees shall not be liable for any loss, damages and/or injury, including loss of life, which participants of our Courses may suffer arising out of or in connection with our Courses, whether the loss, damage and/or injury was suffered on any of Singapore Polytechnic's premises or at any other venue(s) in connection with our Courses.
For NETS/ Cheque payment, you can pay at:
Blk T1A, Level 1
Mon-Fri: 8:30am to 8:00pm
For Cash payment, you can pay at:
Admin Building, Level 2
Mon-Fri: 8:30am to 5:00pm
Cheques should be made payable to Singapore Polytechnic. Please cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number on the back of the cheque. Mail the cheque to:
500 Dover Road
Blk T1A, Level 1
Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy via email to [email protected] For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:
• 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
• Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
• On or after date of commencement - No refund
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.
* PACE Academy course schedules, course trainer, course fees and course availability are subject to change without prior notice.
Terms and Conditions
Back to top