Who can sit for the CWA Examination?
CWA has an open assessment platform. There are no prerequisites to sit for the examination. However, the candidates should already possess a reasonable level in wine knowledge and wine advisory to ensure a reasonable chance to pass the examination. For those with only foundation level in wine knowledge or wine advisory skills, it is advisable that they attend the Certified Wine Advisor Course.
CWA Examination Scope
CWA Examination will test the candidates’ knowledge and advisory skills in the following areas:
The Science of Wine
- What is wine?
- Science of wine production
- Sensory science of grape varieties
- Science of wine evaluation
- Science of wine aging
- Wine quality
- Wine faults
- Wine Styles
Wine Regions with focus on Protected Designation of Origin
- France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Australia, California, Chile, Argentina, New Zealand, South Africa
- Varieties across the globe
- Countries’ signature varieties
- Wine Storage
- Serving temperature
- Serving sequence
- Selection of wine glasses
- Principles of Wine & food pairing
- Understanding wine labels
- Interpreting wine labels
The Art & Business of Selling
- Understanding the wine consumer
- Connecting with the wine consumer
- Selling wine in retail
- Selling wine in restaurant
- Organisational guidelines in wine sales
- Wine business trends and statistics
1. Professionals from the F&B and wine industries
2. Service and executive staff from hotels and restaurants
3. Service and executive staff from wine retails
4. Service and executive staff from wine clubs and bars
5. Professionals with keen interest in wine
Mode of Assessment
The assessment consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. To pass the assessment, candidates must achieve 70% of the marks.
Certified Wine Advisor Letter of Conferment and Collar Pin
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
i) Fill up the electronic form.
ii) Once completed, click on the 'Submit' button.
iii) You will receive online acknowledgement that you have successfully submitted the registration.
iv) Singapore Polytechnic will then register and enrol upon payment of the fees.
For clarification, please email us at [email protected]
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes: a) For E-payment using Visa/Master cards, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, you can pay at:
Blk T1A, Level 1
Mon-Fri: 8:30am to 8:00pm
Sat: 8:30am to 12:00pm
c) For Cash payment, you can pay at:
Admin Building, Level 2
Mon-Fri: 8:30am to 5:00pm
d) For Cheque payment: Please make cheques payable to “Singapore Polytechnic”. Please cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number on the back of the cheque. Mail the cheque to:
ATTN: Manager (Short Programmes)
500 Dover Road
Blk T1A, Level 1
Please note that an administrative charge of $15 will be imposed for any returned cheques from the bank or financial institution.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.
3. Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy via email to [email protected]. For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:
• 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
• Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
• On or after date of commencement - No refund
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.
The data provided to Singapore Polytechnic will be kept strictly confidential and will be used for the purpose of course administration. The data may be passed on to the relevant organisations that require the information related to the course.