What is this course about?
Where information or data is not available, primary data collection often is needed. As much as the ideal case is to collect information or data from the entire population, at times this becomes an impossible feat due to its massiveness. That is why sampling is required and to ensure the data remains robust and representative of the larger population, unbiased sampling techniques are often performed. Furthermore, where data gathering involves surveys, the methodology and approach is often imperative to the representativeness of the population behavior. One of the ways to test the reliability and construct of a surveys is to perform a factor analysis, of which has been used widely in social research in terms of behavioral sciences and psychological studies in terms of psychometrics.
In this course, participants will not only learn the importance and types of unbiased sampling techniques and survey methodologies, factor analysis in terms of validating the reliability of the constructs of a survey will also be covered.
This course is designed for participants who may not have the relevant training in school or work but are keen to learn the ropes of application of sampling and factor analyses. Participants with relevant training will find this course offering refreshing insights and applying the principles of analytics in their work.
Profile of Trainer
Key Credentials of Trainer:
• B.Sc (Statistics and Applied Probability), National University of Singapore (NUS)
• M.Sc (Knowledge Management), Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
• IBM Business Analytics Certified Specialist in IBM SPSS Modeler (Professional) and IBM SPSS Statistics
• SAS Certified Predictive Modeler using SAS Enterprise Miner
• SAS Certified Business Analyst using SAS 9: Regression and Modeling
• Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
• Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA)
• Associate Adult Educator, Adult Educators’ Professionalisation, Institute of Adult Learning (IAL)
Minimum Entry Requirements
Participants are expected to be familiar with basic statistics and comfortable with quantitative discussion.
Introduction to survey methodology and sampling
• Biased and unbiased sampling approaches and their differences
• Sample sizes and basic concepts and calculation
• Process of survey methodology: Pitfalls and best practices
• Survey design and its impact on non-response rate
• Case studies and examples
Introduction to factor analysis
• Exploratory factor analysis (Principal components analysis)
• Assumptions and interpretations
• Types of Rotational tests: Oblique and Varimax tests
• Reliability tests, its interpretation and role in factor analysis (Cronbach’s alpha)
• Case studies and examples
Practical application: Applying principles and fundamentals of factor analyses using analytics software*
*The course will be conducted with computer-aided data analysis software and participants will get a chance to see how analytics are being applied in real-life scenario.
NTUC union members enjoy 50% (unfunded) course fee support for up to $250 each year when you enrol for courses supported under UTAP (Union Training Assistance Programme). Conditions apply.
For more information, please call NTUC Membership hotline at 6213 8008 or email UTAP@e2i.com.sg Website: http://skillsupgrade.ntuc.org.sg
National Sliver Academy Funding
Participants must be Singaporean aged 50 and above in the year of course commencement.
Funding will be reimbursed to eligible participant after course confirmation.
10% Discount for SP Alumni
To enjoy this discount you must be a Diploma Graduate from Singapore Polytechnic.
Applicants who make a false declaration to enjoy the discount will be subjected to paying up to the full course fee and/or be legally persecuted.
SkillsFuture Credit (SFC)
With effect from January 2016, Singaporeans aged 25 years and above who received their SkillsFuture Credit account activation letter will be eligible for an initial credit of $500 which can be used to pay for course fees for a range of eligible skills-related courses. The credits can be used on top of existing course fee subsidies/funding.
This is only applicable for self-sponsored applicants. Application via SkillsFuture Portal can only be made starting from 60 days before the course commencement date.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Participants who pass the quiz and attendance with not less than 75% will be awarded a Certificate of Performance.
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes:
Credit Cards, Internet Banking, NETS (Not Applicable for company sponsored)
a) For e-payment using Visa/Master cards and Internet Banking, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, you can pay at:
Blk T1A, Level 1
Mon-Fri: 8:30am to 7:30pm
c) Please make cheques payable to “Singapore Polytechnic”. Please cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number on the back of the cheque. Mail the cheque to:
500 Dover Road
Blk T1A, Level 1
Please note that an administrative charge of $15 will be imposed for any returned cheques from the bank or financial institution.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.
3. Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy, Singapore Polytechnic via email accordingly:
Online Courses - firstname.lastname@example.org
All other Courses – email@example.com
For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:
- 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
- Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
- On or after date of commencement - No refund
- There will be no refund or transfer of course once the account has been created.
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.
The data provided to Singapore Polytechnic will be kept strictly confidential and will be used for the purpose of course administration. The data may be passed on to the relevant organisations that require the information related to the course.