As part of:
What is this course about?
The course aims to help trade professionals to acquire a sufficient depth in the knowledge of wine in order to be able to make the appropriate wine selections and recommendations. It is also useful to wine enthusiasts who would like to go beyond simple wine appreciation and understand the complexities of wines. The participants will also be given an introduction to spirits and sake.
- Individuals from the wine trade industries
- Service staff from Hotels & Restaurants
- Service staff from Wine Retail
- Service staff from Wine Club & Bars
- Wine purchase staff from Wine Distribution
- Individuals who like to embark on a business related to wines
- Individuals who like to deepen his/her understanding in wines for use during official and business entertainment
- Individuals who like to expand their social circles in wines
Assumed Skills and Knowledge
There is no minimum requirement for this course.
Skills Development Fund (SDF) Training Grant.
Funding is only available for company-sponsored participants.
Please click here to find out more about the training grants in SkillsConnect.
SkillsFuture Credit (SFC)
With effect from January 2016, Singaporeans aged 25 years and above who received their SkillsFuture Credit account activation letter will be eligible for an initial credit of $500 which can be used to pay for course fees for a range of eligible skills-related courses. The credits can be used on top of existing course fee subsidies/funding.
This is only applicable for self-sponsored applicants and must be applied via SkillsFuture Portal within 60 days from course commencement date.
- Introduction to wine
- Basic white and red wine styles
- Grape varieties
- Wine Growing
- Notion of Terroir
- Vinification of still, sparkling and sweet wines
- World wine regions: France, Italy, Spain, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, S Africa and China
- Quality in wine
- Wine aging
- Introduction to Spirits (emphasis on whisky)
- Introduction to Sake
Business and Service Aspects
- Wine glass – Design and selection
- Wine Storage
- Wine Services
- Wine and Food pairing (with introduction to cheese)
- Wine Value-chain analysis
- Wine Industry in Singapore
- Customer’s Profiling and Segmentation
- Wine Retailing Concepts
- How to increase wine sales
Lab-Based Sensory Science Session
- Sensory Evaluation of wines using ‘Wine, Mind & Sense’ technique
- The science of fermentation
- The chemistry of aromas
- Faults and grey area faults
- Balance in wine
- Experimentation on palate sensitivity to taste and touch
Mode of Assessment
There is an assessment on the last day of the course.
Participants who attained at least 75% attendance of the course and successfully passed the assessment will be awarded the Certificate of Performance from Singapore Polytechnic.
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes:
Credit Cards, Internet Banking, NETS (Not Applicable for company sponsored)
a) For e-payment using Visa/Master cards and Internet Banking, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, you can pay at:
Blk T1A, Level 1
Mon-Fri: 8:30am to 7:30pm
c) Please make cheques payable to “Singapore Polytechnic”. Please cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number on the back of the cheque. Mail the cheque to:
500 Dover Road
Blk T1A, Level 1
Please note that an administrative charge of $15 will be imposed for any returned cheques from the bank or financial institution.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.
3. Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy, Singapore Polytechnic via email accordingly:
Online Courses - [email protected]
All other Courses – [email protected]
For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:
- 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
- Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
- On or after date of commencement - No refund
- There will be no refund or transfer of course once the account has been created.
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.
The data provided to Singapore Polytechnic will be kept strictly confidential and will be used for the purpose of course administration. The data may be passed on to the relevant organisations that require the information related to the course.