What is this course about?
The Process Workforce Skills Qualifications (Process WSQ) is a national continuing education and training system designed for adult workers, jointly by the industry and SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG), to determine the competencies required by the Process Industry.
It aims to support and facilitate specialized training and skills development to enhance the workforce, which will lead to an increase in the industry’s overall competitiveness and productivity.
This competency-based course aims to train personnel to be competent to install and programme PLC in control systems at the workplace.
This course is a module (Competency Code PI-PEM-302E-1) in the Singapore Workforce Skill Qualification (WSQ) Advanced Certificate in Process Technology (Engineering Services).
Singapore Polytechnic launched a course leading to the Advanced Certificate in Process Technology. There are six technical modules and five non-technical modules. The six technical modules are:
- Link Process Instrumentation & Measurement Devices (Total 42 hrs)
- Apply IT and Network in Control Applications (Total 48 hrs)
- Perform Basic Control for Process Plant (Total 36 hrs)
- Perform Advanced Control for Process Plant (Total 36 hrs)
- Implement PLC in Control Systems (Total 50 hrs)
- Install and Configure Fieldbus Control System (Total 36 hrs)
This module “Perform Basic Control for Process Plant” is one of the technical modules dealing with process control basics and controller characteristics.
Engineers, technicians, technical supervisors and other personnel whose work scope is involved with or related to the design, operation, installation and maintenance of systems such as automation, control, measurement and instrumentation, monitoring, industrial network and communication and PLCs. The course is also suitable for people who intend to make a conversion to these technical areas in their career pursuit. The course requires the participants to have a basic understanding of electrical and electronic circuits and to be PC savvy.
Assumed Skills and Knowledge
Participants are assumed to:
- be able to interpret basic technical drawings and blueprints
- have basic competencies in using common electrical and electronics measuring instruments
- have basic IT competencies including PC based skills
- have competencies in mathematical calculations equivalent to the Employability Skills System (ESS) level 6
- be able to listen, read, speak and write English at a proficiency level equivalent to the ESS level 6
1. Baseline Funding
Eligibility Criteria: a) Singaporean or Permanent Residents (Company or Self Sponsored) aged 21 years old and above
b) Sponsoring companies must be registered and/or incorporated in Singapore and must fully sponsor the course fee
c) Participants must:
i. achieve at least 75% attendance
ii. Complete and certified competent through all required assessments
iii. Complete post-training surveys conducted between 3-6 months after course end
Participants who have been granted the SkillsFuture funding but fail to meet the above requirements would be liable for the subsidised course fee.
2. Enhanced Workfare Training Support (WTS) Scheme
With effect from 1 July 2013, if you are a Singapore citizen aged 35 years or over, have a monthly income of not more than $1,900, you can enjoy 95% subsidy of your course fee for a wider range of courses covering all Singapore Workforce Skills Qualifications (WSQ ) courses, Academic Continuing Education and Training (CET) courses approved by the Ministry of Education (MOE), as well as Certifiable Skills Training courses accredited or supported by the SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). You may also be eligible for a training allowance* if you sign up for any WTS qualifying courses on your own without the support of your employer and successfully complete it. In addition, you may receive cash awards* for completing training.
For more information, please visit www.ssg-wsg.gov.sg or www.workfare.sg or contact the WTS Hotline at 1800-5368-333.
* Terms and conditions apply.
3. Skills Future Mid-career Enhanced Subsidy
With effect from 1st October 2015, Singaporeans aged 40 years and above will enjoy higher subsidies of up to 90% of course fees under the SkillsFuture Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy scheme.
- Singaporean aged 40 years and above at the point of enrolment
- Achieve at least 75% attendance in the course
- Complete and pass all required assessments
- Complete post-training surveys conducted between 3-6 months after course end
For more information, please visit www.skillsconnect.gov.sg
4. Enhanced Training Support for SMEs
For more information please refer to Programmes & Initiatives.
5. Absentee Payroll Funding
Companies can claim absentee payroll funding when they sponsor their employees for the academic CET programmes.
For more information, please visit www.skillsconnect.gov.sg
6. Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP)
NTUC union members enjoy 50% (unfunded) course fee support for up to $250 each year when you enrol for courses supported under UTAP (Union Training Assistance Programme). Conditions apply.
For more information, please call NTUC Membership hotline at 6213 8008 or email [email protected] Website: http://skillsupgrade.ntuc.org.sg
- Select the hardware components for a PLC system
- Connect I/O devices to a PLC
- Program PLC system
- Trouble-shoot PLC programs
Mode of Assessment
- Written test
- Practical test
- Oral test
Participants will be assessed on their competencies in this module through oral assessment, practical tests and theory tests. Upon passing the module, participants will receive Statement of Attainment (SOA) for the module. If a participant passed all six technical modules and five non-technical modules, he/she will obtain the WSQ Advanced Certificate in Process Technology.
Participants will be awarded WSQ Statement of Attainment if they meet 75% attendance rate as well as passing all assessments required by this course.
Documents Required for Registration (to be uploaded at point of online registration)
Upon completing online registration, please submit the following:
1. Photocopy (back and front) of NRIC for Singaporeans and PRs, or “Employment”/ “S” Pass for foreign applicants
2. Minimum ESS Level 6
3. Pay slip (for WTS applicants only)
4. Declaration Form (For company-sponsored participants, please make sure Training Grant Application Reference Number is filled in)
IMPORTANT: Applications without ALL of the above required supporting documents will be considered incomplete and rejected. Singapore Polytechnic regrets that we will not be able to inform individual applicants of the incomplete documentation nor disclose the reasons for selection/non-selection of applicants.
PACE 500 Dover Road
Block T1A, Level 1, Room T1A12
Note: PACE Academy course schedules, course trainer, course fees and course availability are subject to change without prior notice.
a) For e-payment using Visa/Master cards, please click on the ‘Make ePayment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, please pay at:
Blk T1A, Level 1
Mon-Fri: 8:30am to 7:30pm
c) Cheques should be made payable to Singapore Polytechnic. Please cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number on the back of the cheque. Mail the cheque to:
ATTN: PACE Academy
500 Dover Road
Blk T1A, Level 1
Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy via email to [email protected]. For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:
• 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
• Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
• On or after date of commencement - No refund
* Unless otherwise stated in the course webpage
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.
General Administration PACE
Email: [email protected]
8.30am - 6.00pm (Mon - Thur)
8.30am - 5.30pm (Fri)
8.30am - 8.00pm (Mon - Fri)
The Office is closed on Sat, Sun and Public Holiday.
Terms and Conditions