If you love challenges, taking action, and crafting innovative campaigns – then choosing Diploma in Business Administration (DBA) could be your first step in realising your ambition.
The DBA course focuses on building a solid foundation of business studies, while developing multi-discipline specialisations to enhance your competitiveness in today’s dynamic business environment. The course is designed to train and equip students with specialised skills and knowledge in three foremost business capabilities:
- Marketing Management for those keen to thrive in marketing and branding campaigns, and
- Operations Management for those keen to excel in managing and controlling business functions.
- Entrepreneurship for those keen to venture out with a business start-up,
With our broad-based business modules and specialised options, the DBA course aims to develop thoughtful leaders, entrepreneurs and industry captains who create value for their organisations and communities.
Why choose DBA @SP Business School?
Set yourself up for a challenging career in business and be ready and able to contribute! DBA is the first and leading business course that embraces both design thinking and business analytics.
As a DBA student, you will benefit by
- gaining a strong foundation in Year 1 that covers all the fundamental building blocks in the key business areas,
- enjoying the flexibility of choosing to specialise in one of three options outlined above, and
- being immersed in real world experiences from working with industry partners on projects and competitions,
- being trained and guided to become tomorrow’s business leaders with the requisite skills and the right mind-sets to effectively handle the complexities of the global business environment.
DBA also promotes holistic learning in our students with our many learning facilities such as our Thinkcubator 1 & 2 and Enterprise Hub which simulate real world business environments and operations. Our curriculum also integrate meaningful community awareness and service learning to further enrich your learning experience and nurture you to becoming caring individuals and thoughtful leaders of tomorrow. We are focused not just on our curriculum but also on our students and our greater community.
We invite you to join us in this exciting journey of business and enterprise. You will go beyond the classrooms and textbooks to complete your development as a confident graduate leader who is work-ready, world-ready and life-ready!
Encouraging students to start own businesses
Mentorships, offices to support start-ups and business projects to groom entrepreneurs
Final-year project becomes real business
Unlike their peers in S'pore Poly, team of four is continuing the work beyond graduation
Finals of the SP Business School – AIBI International Pte Ltd
Marketing Plan Competition 2016
The Finals of the SP Business School – AIBI Marketing Plan Competition 2016 was held on 10 February 2016, 3.30 pm to 6 pm at MLT8. Close to 90 students and guests attended the event.
Talk by Mount Everest Team for DBA Students
On 26 January 2016, two of the SWET members were invited to give the DBA marketing students a talk on their experiences at Everest. Lee Peh Gee and Joanne Soo shared their valuable experiences with us.
SP Business Entrepreneurs Gallery Part 2
Take a look at our gallery of student-run businesses - that they set up with their own capital - as part of their final year practicum. Here, students realise their dreams of becoming their own bosses even before they graduate and this is where ‘the rubber hits the road’ because our students get to keep their profits and absorb any losses incurred.
SP Business Entrepreneurs Gallery Part 1
Every year, several dozen business students set up their own businesses as part of the final year practicum. They set up these real, ACRA-registered businesses with their own capital, keep their profits and absorb any losses. See them in action here in part one of two installations.
SPELL – Showcasing Our Technology
Recently, SPELL invited Ms Karen Ng and her team from Singapore Polytechnic’s Corporate Communications Department to SPELL at Changi Airport Terminal 3 for an introduction to our latest technology, the KAI Square Analytics suite.
SP Business School at Clementi 321
Recently, Eng Wah invited our Singapore Polytechnic Entrepreneurship students to set up stalls in the Clementi 321 mall.
Entrepreneurship Mini-Bazaar 2015
The annual Entrepreneurship Mini-Bazaar was held in Singapore Polytechnic on the 5th of December 2015 in conjunction with the New Venture Planning (NVP) module’s Final Presentations.
- DBA offers the largest intake in Singapore Polytechnic and we are looking to welcome 200 new freshmen for our diploma in 2016.
- DBA also provides more choices as student chooses his/her preferred option at the end of year 1 - the added flexibility which every student wants.
- Exciting and sought-after options such as Entrepreneurship, Marketing and Operations Management, are offered to deepen students’ knowledge, skills and competencies.
- DBA has a balanced curriculum which provides students with a balance of core academics and technical hands-on specialised modules.
- The course has many opportunities for active and applied learning through industry client projects, competitions, industry visits and integrated projects.
- Its rich curriculum also integrates meaningful community awareness and service learning to enrich students’ learning experience to nurture them to become thoughtful leaders of tomorrow.
- It provides opportunities for global exposure through overseas internship and immersion programmes (China cities such as Suzhou, Chengdu and Chongqing) as well as hands-on authentic learning through running SP Entrepreneurship Living Lab (SPELL) at Changi Airport Terminal 3.
- Its dedicated learning facilities (Thinkcubator 1 & 2 and Enterprise Hub) simulate real world business environments and operations.
- Gain a competitive edge with design thinking skills and know-how infused in your learning.
About the 3 options:
Marketing Management (MM)
Marketing is an indispensable function within any organisation. Not only does it help an organisation to position its products and services in the desired image to attract and retain customers, it also builds and creates an organisation’s most important asset – brand equity! The marketing field thus provides a wide range of exciting career opportunities.
The option consists of eight option modules and two prescribed electives. MM students will gain specialisation in marketing from Year 2, where they learn how to conduct marketing research to understand the needs and wants of their target consumers. They will reach out to their prospective customers by understanding their decision-making process with insights using consumer psychology. MM students will also gain hands-on exposure to integrated marketing communications, retail management and digital marketing equipping them with useful skills and knowledge. Apart from internship programme where students get the opportunity to work with reputable industry partners in marketing, they will also be involved in a marketing focused client-based capstone project.
Operations Management (OM)
Operations is the heart of any organisation. A company with good operations can have a significant impact on its competitiveness and profitability. This option is designed to provide students with the specific training and education in operations management which focus on smooth flow of products and services between businesses and their key stakeholders.
Students will embrace the essential techniques necessary for improving operations and processes in major types of business. The option emphasises both hands-on and analytical decision-making skills. OM consists of eight option modules and two prescribed electives. Students will be taught current concepts in procurement and logistics operations, supply chain, international operations and documentation, productivity and quality management. In Year 3, OM students will apply their knowledge and skills on a client-based capstone project which will focus on change management and business process re-designing. They will also embark on their internship. Students will be exposed to a suite of industry relevant software applications and technology. They will also participate in industry field trips, which add realism and provide industry exposure.
The Entrepreneurship option attracts a special breed of potential talents, those who are focused, resilient and daring.
Enterprises drive the economy, creating social and economic value by focusing on idea generation, opportunity recognition, and entrepreneurial management.
This option has seven specialised modules, one of which is year-long. The ENT option adopts a student-focused approach to teaching and learning, supporting them with opportunities and experiences in platforms such as pitching sessions, industry mentoring, makers faires, hackathons/hackfests and competitions. Students will be immersed in the entrepreneurial ecosystem early to learn to shape entrepreneurial opportunities, assess financial feasibility of ventures, while living an entrepreneurial experience.