Why Biomedical Science @ Singapore Polytechnic?
- A current curriculum providing sound foundation and opportunity to study contemporary topics in biomedical sciences. The programme offers students a choice of 3 areas of specialisation; biomedical research, medical technology and cardiac technology.
- Recognised by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
- Students are eligible to apply for International Medical Laboratory Technician, MLT (ASCPi) certification offered by American Society for Clinical Pathology.
- Recognised by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) UK.
- High percentage of placement at the local universities and top overseas universities.
- Opportunity to graduate with an additional qualification, e.g. Certificate in Phlebotomy.
- Students get a choice of clinical laboratories or premier research institutions for their internship. In 2010, our students went to Harvard Medical School, Yale University and Imperial College London, UK.
- Graduates have been accepted to read Medicine and Dentistry at NUS.
- The combination of excellent “hardware”: laboratory facilities equipped with the latest clinical laboratory instrumentation, and “heart ware”: lecturers who believe in fully engaging students; provides for an expanded enriching learning experience at SP.
Singapore Polytechnic is recognised by the healthcare and educational communities as the premier educational institution and resource centre for lifelong learning in the applied health sciences.
Students are given a choice of three areas of specialisation: Medical Technology, Cardiac Technology and Biomedical Research.
First established in 1986, our Medical Technology specialisation has a strong focus on testing, diagnosis, management and prevention of diseases. The curriculum integrates biological sciences with clinical and research aspects of clinical laboratory sciences. This programme is recognised by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) and the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) UK.
Singapore Polytechnic in partnership with National Heart Centre Singapore, offers the only formal diploma with Cardiac Technology option in Asia. Our cardiac technology students engage in face-to-face and work shoulder-to-shoulder with leading technologists and physicians in providing technical services in the investigation, diagnosis and management of heart diseases.
The Biomedical Research option is an interdisciplinary APEX program which offers students multi-faceted training across a broad spectrum of scientific and technology fields, with emphasis on the topical field of biological and medical research and development.
Students have the opportunity to pursue an additional Certificate in Phlebotomy or Certificate in Biorisk Management within the three year of their study at the polytechnic. Phlebotomy is a valuable skill in primary healthcare as well as in R&D settings. Recognised by the American Society for Clinical Pathology, this certificate will enhance the employability of graduates. A Biorisk Management certificate will provide valuable skills for graduates to work as a biosafety coordinator or officer.
Clinical and Research Attachment
Our medical technology option students will be posted to medical laboratories in hospitals and related healthcare establishments for their industrial training attachment. Students in biomedical research option will have the opportunity for a meaningful engagement with scientists at various research institutions and R&D centres of pharmaceutical institutions. Cardiac technology option students will be posted to the National Heart Centre Singapore and National University Heart Centre, Singapore for their clinical attachment.
Our Unique Selling Points
- Internships at top-notch clinical laboratories or premier research laboratories including A*STAR Institutes and top-ranked universities in US.
- Training Partnership with National Heart Centre Singapore for cardiac technology option.
- Opportunity to gain an additional Certificate in Phlebotomy or Biorisk Management.
- Opportunities to work with research scientists and clinicians on current research projects.
- Fantastic network of students and graduates.
The Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) recognizes biomedical science educational programmes in UK to ensure that students are suitably trained before they enter the profession.
International credentials through the American Society for Clinical Pathology International (ASCPi ) certifies professional competency among new and practicing medical laboratory personnel in an effort to contribute globally to the highest standards of patient safety. The ASCPi credential is administered by the ASCP Board of Certification, Chicago, IL, USA.