IoT and Smart Solutions Hub
The IoT and Smart Solutions Hub aspires to be the catalyst that provides technical consultations, trainings, and seminars in the areas of IoT, embedded systems applications, smart devices, wireless applications, cloud computing, cybersecurity and data analytics.
About the Tech hub
This Hub is part of the core Technology Hubs under the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. It focusses on developing staff and students’ capabilities in the enabling technologies that drive IoT applications and Smart Solutions.
A typical IoT eco-system would comprise of the following stages and respective enabling technologies:
|Typical stages||Enabling technologies|
|1.Collect ||Sensors, microcontrollers|
|2.Communicate ||Wireless communication technologies|
|3.Connect ||Web technologies|
|4.Cloud ||Cloud computing, application programming|
|5.Comprehend ||Data analytics|
|6.Create ||Smart devices, mobile and web applications |
The implementation of projects in these technologies provides an effective training platform for the future engineers much needed in this highly sought-after market.
Capabilities and Technical Services
The hub provides consultancy, customised training, and project development services in the following technology areas:
- Mobile applications development (both iOS and Android);
- Wireless communication technologies (WIFI, Bluetooth, GPRS, GPS, ZIGBEE, RFID, LORA, SIGFOX, etc.);
- Web applications development (client-server programming, databases etc.);
- Computer networking, cybersecurity, cloud systems and data analytics;
- Embedded microcontrollers such as PICs of Microchip Technology, Arduinos and Advanced RISC Machine (ARM) processors.
Backed by the robust experiences of our academic and research staff, the hub also has ongoing project collaborations with other government agencies, businesses and industry partners.
The Energy & Rapid Transit Hub promotes a wide array of applied R&D projects undertaken by students and staff. Some of the achievements and past projects are shown below:
- Project “Dementia Patient Tracking using Sigfox”. Won Lee Hsien Loong Digital Media Smart Nation Award 2018, IES Innovation Challenge 2018 Gold Award.
- Project “Smart Bike” with ADSEC Global Pte Ltd, Won SP Engg Show 2017 GOLD Award. Finalist of the National Level CETIAsia 2016.
- Project “User Experience Management in Smart Washroom” with Singtel/NCS. Won SP Engg Show 2017 GOLD Award. Won 2nd prize for SP Level SMART Poly FYP Challenge Award 2016. Finalist of the National Level CETIAsia 2016.
- Project “Intelligent Mouse Trap” with Rentokil Initial. Won SP Engg Show 2016 GOLD Award in Cleantech & Built Environment Theme. Won Gold Prize of 1st Smart Poly FYP Challenge Award Competition.
- Project “Reducing MRT door Re-openings During Peak Hours” with SMRT Pte Ltd. Won SP Engg Show 2016 SILVER Award in Transport & Mobility Theme.
- Project “Smart Newspaper Dispenser”. Won SP Engg Show 2016 SILVER Award.
- Project “Intelligent Internet Control And Monitoring Incorporating Wireless RF And Powerline Systems” with . Won SP Engg Show 2015 GOLD Award.
The hub has worked with the following partners:
- SP Group
- D’Kranji Farm Resort
- Singapore Police Force
- ECON Healthcare Group
Courses and Seminars
The hub has conducted many tailor-made courses and continuing education training (CET) courses, some of which are listed here:
- Amazon Web Services Cloud Computing Architechure
- Building an IoT Project
- Cyber Defense, Network Security and Info-Communications Technologies
- CCNA Training
- Data Analytics and Artificial Intelligence
- Data Analytics for Industrial Applications
- IoT and Hybrid Mobile Applications Development
- Introduction to Python Programming and Mobile Applications Development
- IoT – Overview and Applications
Mdm Fauziah Othman
Manager & Tech Hub Leader
School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Phone: 6772 1494
Fax: 6772 1974