We are pleased to introduce our new Specialist Diploma in Immersive Simulation. This Diploma is a collaborative effort of the Media, Arts and Design School, School of Computing with the support of Singapore Polytechnic’s Immersive eXperience Technology Centre (IXTC).
The Immersive Media sector is identified as a frontier technology in Singapore and is seen as a growth multiplier for the city state, potentially transforming many other industries. Globally, Immersive Simulation is also seen as the next wave of innovation amongst major tech giants, as the potential for Immersive Simulation can be applied across diverse fields. Hence, the potential of this sector is expected to play a key role both locally and globally in the development of the digital economy across fields like engineering, healthcare, education, entertainment, architecture, construction, and retail.
In view of the global uptake of adoption of Immersive Simulation, as well as a local spotlight on it as a frontier technology, the proposed course seeks to provide aspiring working adults in the media and info-communications technology sector to equip themselves with the skills in Immersive Simulation.
The course aims to equip students with the following critical knowledge and skills:
● Immersive simulation (AR, VR and MR) development fundamentals
● Media content creation for immersive simulation user experiences
● Developing multi-user immersive simulation applications
The course is designed to upskill the participants with competencies that fit into two Skills Framework: Skills Framework for Infocomm Technology and Skills Framework for Media.
Within the Skills Framework for Infocomm Technology, under Software and Applications track, this course would be relevant for Associate Software Engineer, Software Engineer, Associate UI Designer and UI Designer to progress into more senior roles. Under the Product Management track, it would build onto skills for Associate UX Designer and UX Designer.
Within the Skills Framework for Media, this course would be relevant for Junior Programmer (Game Technical Development track), Junior Designer (Game Design track), and 3D Artist (Visual Graphics track) to enable progression into more senior roles.
This course is suitable for those who wish to apply their skills in a range of industries and applications, such as engineering, healthcare, education, entertainment, architecture, construction and retail. It is also suitable for professionals who intent to upskill themselves and apply their updated knowledge and skills into their work and career.
Minimum Entry Requirements
The entry requirements for the Specialist Diploma in Immersive Simulation are based on the following:
• Relevant degree or diploma in related courses: Digital Media, Infocomm Technology, Entertainment Industry, Industrial Design and Built Environment.
• Graduates from the Singapore Polytechnic’s Diploma in Game Design and Development (Game Programming track), Diploma in Information Technology (Immersive Simulation Technology track), as well as those who have completed the full suite of immersive media poly wide electives, will be considered for exemption (subjected to exemption guidelines).
• Applicants with basic programming background will be beneficial, however relevant portfolio and/or working experience will also be considered.
• Applicants who do not meet the entry requirements may be considered for admission to the course based on evidence of at least 5 years of relevant working experience or supporting evidence of competency readiness. Suitable applicants who are shortlisted may have to go through an interview and/or entrance test. The Polytechnic reserves the right to shortlist and admit applicants.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Applicants who do not meet the entry requirements may apply for admission to the course by producing evidence of at least 5 years relevant working experience or supporting information to ascertain their competency readiness. Eligible applicants who are shortlisted may have to go through an interview and/or entrance test.
The Polytechnic reserves the right to shortlist eligible applicants and admit applicants who perform well in the interview and/or entrance test.
This course consists 2 Post Diploma Certificates (PDC). Each PDC will consist of 2 modules whereas duration of each PDC is 1 semester long. Classes will be conducted in the evenings for 15 weeks each semester to cater to working adults.
PDC 1: Certificate in Immersive Simulation and Content Development
Module 1: Immersive Simulation Development Techniques
Module 2: Immersive Media Content Development
PDC 2: Certificate in Immersive Multi-User Experience
Module 3: Multi-User Immersive Simulation
Module 4: Immersive Experience Design with Capstone Project
The synopsis of the modules can be found here.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Upon completion of the modules in each semester, the participant will be awarded one Post-Diploma Certificates (PDC) respectively.