To be advised
To be advised
24 hours / 8 days
6:30pm to 9:30pm
Mode of Training:
Singapore Polytechnic, School of Coffee
Business and Science on Coffee equips its participants with the skills required to operate and handle a semi-automatic Espresso machine setup in a Café settings. Participants will learn how to extract Espresso and prepare milk based Espresso beverage such as Café Latte and Café Cappuccino. Multiple practical session has been incorporated to facilitate in depth understanding of the skills and technique.
Participants will be exposed to different origin of raw green coffee and various selection of coffee that are serving in Singapore.
The second half of the course will provide an insight into the operational aspect of a Cafe. The importance of coffee presentation and handling of scenarios that will occur during operation will be discussed.
1. Insight into Coffee industry
- Introduction to coffee
- Coffee producing origins
- Type of green coffee beans
- Stages of processing green coffee beans
- Methods of processing green coffee beans
2. Gourmet coffee
- ORoasting of Gourmet coffee
- Different roasting profiles
- Storage of roasted coffee beans
- Type of grinders
- Different grinding profiles
- Type of Coffee brewing apparatus
- Parts of Espresso Machine
- Maintenance of Espresso Machine
- Introduction to gourmet coffee
- Espresso extractions
- Introduction to milk frothing
- Preparation of milk-based Espresso beverages
3. Coffee Business
- Presentation of Coffee
- Customer experience
- Customer relationship
- Dynamics of service crew
- Customer service scenarios
- Value -added services
This course is suitable for potential Café owner, working adults looking to take up barista as a profession, baristas looking to polish their skills and learn the business aspect of running a Café or simply for personal interest and development.
Minimum Entry Requirements / Assumed Skills and Knowledge
There are no pre-requisites, meaning there are no courses or educational qualifications you must have in order to enrol for Business and Science on Coffee. We do however make certain assumptions about you as a learner which we call assumed knowledge and skills. The assumptions are as follows:
• Basic English Language writing and communication skills
• Ability to participate effectively in group discussions, speak and communicate in a learning environment.
• A strong interest in coffee and are either currently in the sector or planning to seek employment as a Barista or looking to setup your own café or restaurant.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Participants who attain at least 75% attendance of the course and successfully pass the assessments will be awarded an e-certificate (Certificate of Performance) from Singapore Polytechnic.
Mode of Assessment
There would be 1 theory test (30%) and 1 practical evaluation (70%).
| ||Singapore Citizens aged 50 and above ||Singapore Citizens/ Singapore PRs/Foreigners|
|Funding available||50% of the course fee excluding GST (capped at $500 per course)||Nil|
|Course Fees Payable||$444.60 (incl. of GST)||$834.60 (incl. of GST)|
1. Government subsidy will only apply to the course fee portion and will not cover GST
2. For more information on National Silver Academy (NSA), please click here
Please see Funding Incentives for more information.
1. National Sliver Academy Funding
Participants who are Singaporean, aged 50 years and above in the year of course commencement, can enjoy a subsidy of 50% off course fee (capped at $500 per course).
As part of:
Funding Validity Period: Till 30 Jun 2019
2. Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP)
UTAP is a training benefit for NTUC members to defray their cost of training. This benefit is to encourage more NTUC members to go for skills upgrading.
NTUC members enjoy 50% *unfunded course fee support for up to $250 each year when you sign up for courses supported under UTAP.
*Terms and conditions apply. Participants must be paid-up NTUC Members with no arrears in membership fees before course commencement and throughout the whole course duration.
*Unfunded course fee refers to the balance course fee payable after applicable government subsidy. This excludes GST, registration fees, misc. fees etc.
3. 10% Discount for SP Alumni
To enjoy this discount you must be a Diploma Graduate from Singapore Polytechnic.
Applicants who make a false declaration to enjoy the discount will be subjected to paying up to the full course fee and/or be legally persecuted.
4. SkillsFuture Credit (SFC)
With effect from January 2016, Singaporeans aged 25 years and above who received their SkillsFuture Credit account activation letter will be eligible for an initial credit of $500 which can be used to pay for course fees for a range of eligible skills-related courses. The credits can be used on top of existing course fee subsidies/funding.
This is only applicable for self-sponsored applicants. Application via SkillsFuture Portal can only be made starting from 60 days before the course commencement date.
Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy via email to email@example.com
For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:
· 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
· Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
· On or after date of commencement - No refund
* Unless otherwise stated in the course webpage
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.* PACE Academy course schedules, course trainer, course fees and course availability are subject to change without prior notice.
Registration may be closed once seats are filled up.
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes:
a) Credit Cards, Internet Banking, NETS (Not Applicable for company sponsored)
For e-payment using Visa/Master cards and Internet Banking, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, you can pay at:
Please make cheques payable to “Singapore Polytechnic”. Do cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number at the back of the cheque. When you have completed required details, you may mail the cheque here.
Please note that an administrative charge of $15 will be imposed for any returned cheques from the bank or financial institution.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.