3pm – 5pm (actual examination duration: 1h 15 min))
The Certified Wine Advisor (CWA) certification was launched in 2015. It has for objective to recognise excellence in wine advisory. The CWA Exam tests a candidate’s adequacy in relevant wine knowledge to provide professional advice on wine. The scope of expected knowledge is as below:
- The science of wine (wine production, grape varieties, wine evaluation, wine aging, wine quality, wine faults and wine styles)
- Wine regions (France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Australia, USA, Chile, Argentina, New Zealand, South Africa)
- Wine labels (understand and interpreting wine labels)
- Wine services (wine storage and serving, selection of wine glasses, wine & food pairing)
- The Art & Business of selling wines (the wine consumer, selling wine on-trade and off-trade, organisational guidelines in wine sales, wine business trends & statistics.
Candidates are expected to have a good understanding of the scope highlighted above. There are no other pre-requisites.
Examination and Certification
The CWA Exam consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. Successful candidates who score 70% or better are conferred the title of ‘Certified Wine Advisor’ by Singapore Polytechnic.
They will receive a conferment certificate and a CWA collar pin. They are authorised to use the designation of CWA as a post-nominal to their name.
As of Dec 2017, more than 115 candidates have earned this coveted title. The success rates for the Exam were about 30%-50 % . The CWA certification has become the de-facto in-house staff assessment benchmark for some wine companies.
Exam Study Guide (CWA Reference Book)
All questions will be drawn from the CWA Reference Book. Candidates will be briefed on the exact scope to be tested. If they wish to better prepare for the CWA examination, they could purchase a hard copy of the CWA Reference Book during the briefing session. The CWA Reference Book provides sufficient study resources and quizzes for the Exam. The cost of the reference book is $40 nett.
Certified Wine Advisor Letter of Conferment and Collar Pin
Fee does not cover study materials.
Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy, Singapore Polytechnic via email accordingly:Online Courses
- firstname.lastname@example.orgAll other Courses
For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:Classroom
- 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
- Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
- On or after date of commencement - No refund
- There will be no refund or transfer of course once the account has been created.
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.
The data provided to Singapore Polytechnic will be kept strictly confidential and will be used for the purpose of course administration. The data may be passed on to the relevant organisations that require the information related to the course.
3 Sept 2018
The examination will be conducted and invigilated by Singapore Polytechnic.
Registration and collection of fee will be done by Wine Resources Pte Ltd.
For registration, please contact:
Wine Resources Pte Ltd
Malcolm Tham (email@example.com , HP: 91382078)
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes:
Credit Cards, Internet Banking, NETS (Not Applicable for company sponsored)
a) For e-payment using Visa/Master cards and Internet Banking, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, you can pay at:
Blk T1A, Level 1
Mon-Fri: 8:30am to 7:30pm
c) Please make cheques payable to “Singapore Polytechnic”. Please cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number on the back of the cheque. Mail the cheque to:
500 Dover Road
Blk T1A, Level 1
Please note that an administrative charge of $15 will be imposed for any returned cheques from the bank or financial institution.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.