30 to 31 July 2019
8 May to 14 July 2019
16 hours / 2 days
9am to 6pm
Mode of Training:
This course offers a comprehensive coverage of the main aspects of plastics technology like classification of plastics, general properties and processing behaviors of commodity, engineering, and high performance thermoplastics, polymer testing and major fabrication processes with more emphasis on injection moulding, and extrusion processes..
Course OutlineProduct name: Thermo Scientific™ HAAKE …Produktname © 2015 Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. · All rights reserved · Copyrights owned by Thermo Fisher Scientific.
This course offers a comprehensive coverage of many aspects of plastics technology.1. General Classifications of plastics resins
- This topic includes thermoplastics, thermosets, homopolymers, copolymers, regrinds, polymer blends, composites and masterbatches.2. General properties and processing behavior of thermoplastics
- This topic includes Tg, Tm , MFI, crystallization, shrinkage, mould in stress and flow behaviour of plastics melts in injection moulding and extrusion processes.3. Plastics Processing Methods
- This topic includes comprehensive coverage of injection moulding process and an overview of other processes like extrusion, thermoforming, compression, rotational and calendaring processes.4. Polymer Testings
- This topic includes Tensile, Izod, Flexural, Rowell Hardness, HDT and Flammability tests.5. Thermoplastics
- This topic includes the general properties, processing behaviours and applications of commodity thermoplastics, engineering thermoplastics and high performance thermoplastics.6. Polymer Additives
- This topic covers common and important additives like nucleating agents, impact modifiers, glass and carbon fibres, fillers, flame retardants and antioxidants.7. Materials Selection
- It covers a summarised guidelines for selecting the best plastic material in a given application which begins with types of plastics, its general properties, suitable processing methods, choice of right additives and the cost effectiveness of the selected material.
People working in /as
- plastics production
- quality/technical control
- materials supplier
- sales and marketing department
- new comers in plastics industries and other related industries.
Minimum Entry Requirements / Assumed Skills and Knowledge
The applicant is expected to have basic command of English.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Certificate of Attendance will only be issued to participants who has successfully attained 75% attendance.
Mr. Pok Chin Siong is a retired Senior Lecturer (since April 2013) in the School of Chemical and Life Sciences at Singapore Polytechnic(SP) having served there for over 23 years. Outside of his SP-academic related duties, Chin Siong is a highly sought-after workshop facilitator and trainer for plastics industry personnel. His short courses have taken the form of: Public short course, In-house training sessions, Technical Seminars and Consultancy Work, all tailored for the plastics industries in Singapore. His most successful public short course is Engineering Thermoplastics For Injection Moulding which has seen a total of 31 runs over two decades.
More recently (Nov 2013 and February 2019) under PACE Academy Singapore Polytechnic, he has conducted 14th successful runs for the short course on " Fundamentals of Plastics Technology" for the Public.
Fundamentals Of Plastics Technology (from Nov 2013 till February 2019 - 14 runs)
Mr Pok Chin Siong graduated from the University of Malaya with a BSc in Chemistry with Diploma of Education in 1972. He went on to obtain his Associated London School Of Plastics Technology (ALSPT- First Class Honours1986) and an MSc in Polymer Science With Distinction from the North London University (1987) in United Kingdom. Mr Pok is currently a Senior Adjunct Lecturer with the PACE Academy of Singapore Polytechnic.
Clients Attended Basf, Mitsui Chemicals, Teknor Apex, Lamipak Enviroment PL, Health Science Authority, Vicplas, Cardinal Health, Resin and Pigment, Seiko Instrument, Wah Sin Ind PL, SL Packaging, Sunnigdale, Texchem S'pore Pte Ltd, Baxter Healthcare, Asahi Kasei Plastics S'pore Pte Ltd, Euchem (Asia) Pte Ltd, Swees Engineering Co. Pte Ltd, Fu Yu Corporation Limited, DSTA, DSO, Celanese Pte Ltd, Alpha Plastics, Tanaka Kikinzoku S’pore PL, Eveready Manufacturing PL, LMS Technologies Pte Ltd, Sivantos Pte Ltd, Olympus Technologies Singapore, Cal-Comp Precision (Singapore), Clariant (S’pore) PL, Kim Tat Plastic Industries, Midland Metals Overseas PL, The Polyolefin Company (S) Ptd., Illumina Singapore PL, Forefront Medical, MAP Plastics Pte Ltd, Plexchem Technologies, Becton Dickinson Medical (S) P, Nok Precision Component (S)PL, Kraiburg TPE Technology (M), AB Sciex Pte Ltd, San Ho Technologies PL, Beyonics International , Imerys Asia Pacific, Mitsui Chemicals Pacific, , RTP Company (S), Sanden International (S) and Skanda PL, TPSC, Chosen Plastics, Kinergy Corporation, Merit Medical S’pore, NMB and Singapore Technology Aerospace, West Pharmaceutical , Advanced Materials Technology, 7 Seas PL, Entegris(S) Pte Ltd, Corning Singapore Holdings, Eutech Instruments, Astraltec Pte Ltd, National Heritage Board, Greenland Plastics, Infastech (S) Pte Ltd, Singapore Technologies Aerospa and Somitomo Chemical Asia, TUV SUB PSB PL, Yat Hei Trading, Philip Electronics (S), Institue of Chemical & Engineering Sciences Astar.
Work Shop Fee
$727.60 (with GST)
10% Discount for SP Alumni (Applicable to Individual Only)
Please see Funding Incentives for more information.
1. 10% Discount for SP Alumni
To enjoy this discount you must be a Diploma Graduate from Singapore Polytechnic.
Applicants who make a false declaration to enjoy the discount will be subjected to paying up to the full course fee and/or be legally persecuted.
2. SkillsFuture Credit (SFC)
With effect from January 2016, Singaporeans aged 25 years and above who received their SkillsFuture Credit account activation letter will be eligible for an initial credit of $500 which can be used to pay for course fees for a range of eligible skills-related courses. The credits can be used on top of existing course fee subsidies/funding.
This is only applicable for self-sponsored applicants. Application via SkillsFuture Portal can only be made starting from 60 days before the course commencement date.
3. Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP)
NTUC union members enjoy 50% (unfunded) course fee support for up to $250 each year when you enrol for courses supported under UTAP (Union Training Assistance Programme). Conditions apply.
For more information, please call NTUC Membership hotline at 6213 8008 or email UTAP@e2i.com.sg Website: http://skillsupgrade.ntuc.org.sg
4. Skills Development Fund (SDF) Training Grant.
Funding is only available for company-sponsored participants.
Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy, Singapore Polytechnic via email accordingly:Online Courses
- firstname.lastname@example.orgAll other Courses
For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:Classroom
- 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
- Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
- On or after date of commencement - No refund
- There will be no refund or transfer of course once the account has been created.
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.
The data provided to Singapore Polytechnic will be kept strictly confidential and will be used for the purpose of course administration. The data may be passed on to the relevant organisations that require the information related to the course.