28 to 29 May 2020
21 Mar to 08 May 2020
14 hours / 2 days
9am to 5pm
Mode of Training:
Participants will be required to calculate the accounting ratios and prepare a cashflow statement.
In today’s economy, PMETs constantly encounter the need to understand, interpret and make sense of financial information in their daily work. Those not trained in Finance face difficulty to engage with their superiors to offer sound decisions and judgements of their operations or projects using financial analysis.
There is a need for non-Finance PMETs to learn and acquire skills in the basics of Finance in their work.
To introduce basic financial concepts for learners to appreciate the usefulness of financial statements and the process of capital budgeting.
Course Learning Outcomes
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Appreciate basic accounting principles
- Explain the different types of financial reports;
- Interpret key Financial information
- Understand the limitation of financial reports
- Construct cash budget and pro-forma statement
- Apply time value of money concepts to evaluate different streams of cash flow
- Appreciate the capital budgeting process
- Apply common capital budgeting techniques to project evaluation
1.Introduction, Course outline, Expectations and Takeaways
- Understanding the importance of financial statements.
2.Analysing & Tools for Preparing Financial Statements
- Understanding Double Entry Concepts
- Recording Transactions- Journals, Cash Book, General Ledger
- Understanding the differences of Income Statement & Balance Sheet and their roles.
3. Assumptions –Sources of information
- Understanding Relevant and achievable targets
- KPIs, Assessments relevant to company /industry
4.Understanding Financial Statements
- Accounting Terminology within Financial Statements
- Contents of Income Statements, Balance Sheet & Cash Flow
- Understanding Income, Balance Sheet (Assets, Liabilities & Equity)
- Understanding Cash Flows (Operating, Investing & Financing)
5.Analysing & Interpreting Financial Statements
- Understanding Vertical Analysis
- Understanding Ratios (Performance, Liquidity & Leverage)
6.Limitations of Financial statements
- Understanding the pitfalls of over relying on financial statements
- Understanding the limitations of Ratios
7.Planning & Budgeting
- Understand the Financial Planning Process
- Understand and apply Cash Planning concepts to prepare Cash Budget
- Understand and apply Profit Planning concepts to prepare Pro-forma Statement
8.Capital Budgeting & Investment Analysis
- Understand and apply time value of money concepts to evaluate different streams of cash flow
- Describe the characteristics of capital expenditure
- Describe the capital budgeting process
- Understand and apply the following capital budgeting techniques:
o Payback period
o Net present value
o Internal rate of return
Mid level PMET with no finance training but may be working in roles that require finance knowledge and skills.
Minimum Entry Requirements / Assumed Skills and Knowledge
Learners must be able to handle spreadsheets and have strong numeracy skills.
Having at least 3 years of working experience will be useful to appreciate the concepts to be taught.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
• Certificate of Attendance (electronic Certificate will be issued)
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to participants who meet at least 75% attendance rate
• Certificate of Performance (electronic Certificate will be issued)
A Certificate of Performance will be awarded to participants who pass the examination and meet at least 75% attendance rate
*Registration may be closed once seats are filled up
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes:
a) Credit Cards, Internet Banking, NETS
(Not Applicable for company sponsored)
For e-payment using Visa/Master cards and Internet Banking, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment
, you can pay at:
Singapore PolytechnicPACE Academy
Please make cheques payable to “Singapore Polytechnic”. Do cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number at the back of the cheque. When you have completed required details, you may mail the cheque here
Please note that an administrative charge of $15 will be imposed for any returned cheques from the bank or financial institution.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.