15 Apr to 26 Aug 2020
(no classes in June 2020)
Registration Closing Date:
14 Mar 2020
65 hours / 16 weeks
6:30pm to 9:30pm (Wed)
Mode of Training:
Classroom and Practical
Singapore Polytechnic, School of Chemical and Life Sciences
This course provides the participants with the theory and practical skills required for the collection of viable blood and other body fluids in a clinical setting.
Successful participants, who receive a certificate of performance and attain a minimum of 50 successful blood collections, are eligible to take the international certifying examination, PBT(ASCPi), conducted by the American Society for Clinical Pathology.
1.Introduction to the health care delivery system and medical terminology.
2.Venipuncture using evacuated tube system.
3.Venipuncture using winged infusion needle.
5.Anatomy & Physiology related to phlebotomy.
6.Phlebotomy Theory – Blood collection equipment, types of additives and pre-analytical factors.
8.Safety in Phlebotomy.
9.Quality assurance in Phlebotomy.
10.Blood Cultures and other special procedures.
11.Urinalysis & other body fluid/sample collection, transport & storage.
12.Accreditation & Regulatory Guidelines.
13.Pre-analytical variables and its effects on laboratory results & patient management.
14.Theory & Practical Test.
The course is particularly suitable for medical technologists, nurses and phlebotomists who are required to take blood and other body fluids specimens from patients for laboratory testing.
Minimum Entry Requirements / Assumed Skills and Knowledge
Applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
1) Possess a minimum qualification of GCE ‘N’ level or WPLN level 6.
2) Clinical Placement- sample letter
Applicants who do not meet the entry requirement will not be accepted into the course. PACE reserves the rights to drop participants from the course for any submission of inaccurate or false declaration.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
The award of certificate is based on the following criteria:
• Certificate of Performance (electronic Certificate) for participants, who have passed the theory & practical tests, completed the 20 hours of clinical practice with a minimum of 20 successful blood collections and achieved a minimum of 75% attendance in taught lessons.
• Certificate of Attendance (electronic Certificate) for participants, who have completed the 20 hours of clinical practice with a minimum of 20 successful blood collections and achieved a minimum of 75% attendance in taught lessons but who did not passed the theory and/or the practical test.
• No certificate will be issued to participants who have failed to complete the 20 hours of clinical practice with a minimum of 20 successful blood collections or failed to achieve a minimum of 75% attendance in taught lessons, regardless of whether they did or did not pass the theory and/or the practical test.
Course Fees payable:
|Singapore Citizens aged below 40 and Singapore PRs||Singapore Citizens||Others|
|Non-SME sponsored||1Sponsored by SME||2Aged 40 and above||3Aged 35 and above, and earn ≤ $2,000 per month|
Singaporeans aged 25 years and above may use **SkillsFuture Credit balance to offset respective course fees.
1 Under the Enhanced Training Support for Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs) Scheme. For more information, click here. Please submit the attached “Declaration Form for Enhanced Training Support Scheme for SME” together with your online application.
2 Under the SkillsFuture Mid-career Enhanced Subsidy. For more information, visit the SkillsFuture website here.
3 Under the Workfare Training Support (WTS) scheme. For more information on the scheme, click here.
Please click here for more information on funding incentives.
* Registration may be closed once seats are filled up
1) Application is through online only.
2) Please note that the following supporting documents (scanned copies) are to be uploaded during online application.
- NRIC/ FIN
- Education Qualification
- Clinical Placement Letter
- Evidence of Hepatitis B (HBV) immunization
3) Applications without the required documents or incomplete information will not be processed and will be rejected.
4) Successful applicants will be notified via email to come for enrolment and make payment (NETS or cheque).
5) The Original documents will be required for verification during the enrolment exercise..
Confirmed enrolment is based on a first-come, first-served basis, upon submission of required documents and full payment of the course fee. Registration does not guarantee enrolment in the course. Singapore Polytechnic, its governors, officers, agents and employees shall not be liable for any loss, damages and/or injury, including loss of life, which participants of our Courses may suffer arising out of or in connection with our Courses, whether the loss, damage and/or injury was suffered on any of Singapore Polytechnic's premises or at any other venue(s) in connection with our Courses.