04-07 April 2022
07 Feb - 15 Mar 2022
9:00am to 5:00pm
Mode of Training:
Facilitated Learning (F2F)
Research results with basic environmentally-friendly formulation know-how from SP’s research laboratories will be taught and imparted to participants to put it to use. SP researchers who are trainers of the course will provide in-company professional
advice, such as visiting them in their workplace to provide advice in terms of chemical safety improvement in workplace.
The course aims to equip participants with:
1) Knowledge and skills in chemical management and workplace safety & health (WSH) instilling in them the mindset and best practices to reduce occupational diseases, injuries and fatalities from potential exposure to hazardous chemicals during work.
2) Comprehensive skillset via practical training so that they are effective in dealing with chemical and chemical wastes at their workplace. Additionally, trainer’s team will visit to their workplace to conduct a site assessment and provide advice
in term of chemical safety improvement in workplace, for a complete learning and practicum cycle.
3) The ability to adopt a technology from a host of research intellectual property from SP’s research laboratories on green and sustainable solutions, which participants will have the option to adopt one solution with potential for product development,
designed for capability development to their company.
a) Green Lixiviants for E-waste Recycling
i ) Cyanide/Aqua Regia Free Silver Lixiviant or
ii) Cyanide low/Aqua Regia Free Gold Lixiviant
b) Nano Glass Coatings For Green Building Applications
c) Solar Heat Barrier Paint Coating for wall
d) Solar Heat Absorbing Paint Coating
e) Green Copper-free Anti-fouling Coating for Marine application
f) Green Electromagnetic Interference Shielding Paint
g) Aqueous-based Multifunctional Green Organic Coatings for copper protection
By the end of the Course, participants will be able to:
• Describe the roles & responsibilities in handling chemicals
• Apply best safe work practices for chemical handling
• Identify chemicals hazards in chemicals at the workplace
• Interpret classification and labelling of chemicals according to industry norm
• Describe the risks dealing with the chemical waste treatment
• State the legislation and relevant industry codes including acts, regulation, approved code of practices and Singapore standards
• Identify work process and risk management
• Manage and handle chemicals in more efficient methods
• Describe chemical waste management for various industries including:
- Treatment technologies and management practices
- Environmental impact and legislative aspects of chemical wastes from Waste Management and Recycling Association of Singapore (WMRAS)
• Adopt a technology from a host of research intellectual property from SP’s research laboratories on green and sustainable solutions which particiapants will have to select one solution to be tried out in their workplace
• Process technician / safety engineer / engineering manager
• Engineering manager
• Technical service engineer
• Principal chemist
• Waste recycling manager / supervisor
• Waste recovery manager
• Waste treatment plant manager
• Environment, health and safety manager
Minimum Entry Requirements / Assumed Skills and Knowledge
Basic English proficiency
Minimally NITEC and above
Award / Certification / Accreditation
• Certificate of Attendance (electronic Certificate will be issued)
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to participants who meet at least 75% attendance rate
• Certificate of Performance (electronic Certificate will be issued)
A Certificate of Performance will be awarded to participants who pass the assessment and meet at least 75% attendance rate
Eric Teh, Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) Manager, Sustainable Asset Management Solutions Pte Ltd
STAR for Green Solution Technology and Workplace Safety course has allowed my company adopt the technology on high and selective extraction of gold from Gold-Coated Solid Wastes using Low Cyanide Lixiviant. Learning how to implement this technology has enabled my company to increase our capability for e-waste recycling in terms of Gold Recovery Process.
The course’s unique structure has given us a much more interesting experience than classroom training and enhances learning effectiveness. The mentoring sessions have also provided me guidance in understanding the end-to-end operation of the gold recovery process. At the end of the course, I was able to take back a prototype of a formulation list of green lixiviants for gold that can be used in my process line or as a product to be commercially sold.
Andrew Tay, Business Development Director, KGS Pte Ltd
STAR for Green Solution Technology and Workplace Safety course has allowed my company to adopt a method for high extraction of silver from Silver-Coated Solid Wastes. This technology helps to bring the downstream recycling processes and technology in-house, and we are now able to capture higher value. Thus, we can now position ourselves as having the necessary skills and capabilities in transforming our business. The technology is also more environmentally friendly than the current practices which further boost our image as steward of environmental services.
We appreciate the hand-on experiences that the course has provided us with. The mentoring sessions has given us better understanding of the concepts, aids in learning and retention of our learning. Our key takeaway from the course is having a base proven technology which we can use as a viable business model in the near future.