Registration Closing Date:
To be advice
24 hours / 8 days
7 pm to 10 pm
07 to 28 Mar 2020 (Saturday)
Registration Closing Date:
20 Feb 2020
24 hours / 4 days
9 am to 4 pm
Mode of Training:
Business and Science on Coffee equips its participants with the skills required to operate and handle a semi-automatic Espresso machine setup in a Café settings. Participants will learn how to extract Espresso and prepare milk based Espresso beverage such as Café Latte and Café Cappuccino. Multiple practical session has been incorporated to facilitate in depth understanding of the skills and technique.
Participants will be exposed to different origin of raw green coffee and various selection of coffee that are serving in Singapore.
The second half of the course will provide an insight into the operational aspect of a Cafe. The importance of coffee presentation and handling of scenarios that will occur during operation will be discussed.
1. Insight into Coffee industry
- Introduction to coffee
- Coffee producing origins
- Type of green coffee beans
- Stages of processing green coffee beans
- Methods of processing green coffee beans
2. Gourmet coffee
- ORoasting of Gourmet coffee
- Different roasting profiles
- Storage of roasted coffee beans
- Type of grinders
- Different grinding profiles
- Type of Coffee brewing apparatus
- Parts of Espresso Machine
- Maintenance of Espresso Machine
- Introduction to gourmet coffee
- Espresso extractions
- Introduction to milk frothing
- Preparation of milk-based Espresso beverages
3. Coffee Business
- Presentation of Coffee
- Customer experience
- Customer relationship
- Dynamics of service crew
- Customer service scenarios
- Value -added services
This course is suitable for potential Café owner, working adults looking to take up barista as a profession, baristas looking to polish their skills and learn the business aspect of running a Café or simply for personal interest and development.
Minimum Entry Requirements / Assumed Skills and Knowledge
• Basic English Language writing and communication skills
• Ability to participate effectively in group discussions, speak and communicate in a learning environment.
• A strong interest in coffee and are either currently in the sector or planning to seek employment as a Barista or looking to setup your own café or restaurant.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
• Certificate of Performance (electronic Certificate will be issued)
A Certificate of Performance will be awarded to participants who pass the examination and meet at least 75% attendance rate
Mode of Assessment
There would be a theory test and practical evaluation.
| ||Singapore Citizens aged 50 and above ||Singapore Citizens/ Singapore PRs/Foreigners|
|Funding available||50% of the course fee excluding GST (capped at $500 per course)||Nil|
|Course Fees Payable||$444.60 (incl. of GST)||$834.60 (incl. of GST)|
1. Government subsidy will only apply to the course fee portion and will not cover GST
2. For more information on National Silver Academy (NSA), please click here
Please see Funding Incentives for more information.
Please click here for more information on funding incentives.
Registration may be closed once seats are filled up.
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes:
a) Credit Cards, Internet Banking, NETS (Not Applicable for company sponsored)
For e-payment using Visa/Master cards and Internet Banking, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, you can pay at:
Please make cheques payable to “Singapore Polytechnic”. Do cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number at the back of the cheque. When you have completed required details, you may mail the cheque here.
Please note that an administrative charge of $15 will be imposed for any returned cheques from the bank or financial institution.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.