15 Apr to 22 Jul 2019
Mandatory Classes: Week 1 & Week 11 (Pitch sessions in Week 7 & Week 15)
Lecturer: Neelesh Bhatia
Mandatory In Class Sessions -
Session 1 - Monday 15th April 2019 [Week 1]
Session 2 - Monday 27th May 2019 [Week 7]
Session 3 - Monday 24th June 2019 [Week 11]
Session 4 - Monday 22nd July 2019 [Week 15]
Mandatory one hour face to face mentoring session for all other weeks - based on schedules decided by respective mentors
14 Feb to 31 Mar 2019
60 hours / 15 days
6pm to 10pm
Mode of Training:
Singapore Polytechnic, PACE Academy
This module is designed to help students build an entrepreneurial mindset. Students will work in multi-disciplinary teams and tackle problem statements that help them evaluate their business skills and commitment necessary to successfully operate an entrepreneurial venture and review the challenges and rewards of entrepreneurship. Students will also be introduced to entrepreneurship from a socio-economic perspective and to the concepts of business model canvas, lean startup methodology and disruptive innovation.
• To apply the concept of Design Thinking for business.
• To apply the concept of business models.
• To apply the concept of a Lean Startup.
• To design and build prototypes that allow stakeholders to understand the usability and feasibility of the product concept.
• To recognise the importance of financial management.
• To develop a business plan for their business idea.
• To pitch a business idea to investors and customers.
Design Thinking for Business
Business Model Generation & Validation
Marketing Plan & ROI
Legal Aspects of Starting a Business
Business Plan Development
Pitching for Investment
Personnel and professionals from any industry with a keen interest and passion in entrepreneurship.
Minimum Entry Requirements / Assumed Skills and Knowledge
Coding skills are a plus but NOT mandatory.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Certificate of Performance
- How much equity do I need to give up if I get into the course?
- SP does not take any portion of the equity from the start-up founders. We just collect the course fee as stated on our webpage.
- Who owns the IP for any product that is designed /developed / produced during the course?
- The founders of the company own all the product IP.
- Other accelerators provide me with an office space. How about here?
- All course participants will have access to co-working spaces in the SPINOFF office, on a first come first serve basis. This service will be available to the participants for the entire duration of the 15 weeks.
- What time will the classes be held every week?
- Participants will have to come to class only 4 times during the entire duration of the program. This would be in Week 1, 7, 11 & 15. These four classes will be held on the SP Campus in the evenings at 6pm.
For all the other weeks, participants will have to access the online material, and complete the tasks as listed there. Then, once the tasks have been completed, participants will have to contact their assigned mentors to schedule a consultation meeting.
- When and where will these consultation meetings be held?
- The consultation meetings are held at a mutually convenient time between the participant and the mentor. These meetings could either be held face to face, on skype, slack or any other digital platform.
- Who will mentor me?
- Participants are matched to the mentor who usually comes from either the SP Campus or industry and brings with him / her several years of experience in the business vertical that the participants’ idea is based in.
- Does SP provide me funding for my idea?
- No. The participants will however get an opportunity to pitch their idea to investors on Demo Day in week 15. At this point, should any of the investors be willing to invest in a participant’s idea, then that discussion would be between the participants and the investor directly.
- Do I need to have a business idea before I enroll for this course?
- Participants are required to have a few problem statements in mind that they can bring into the course and then build their idea based on the validations received.
- Who do I contact if I have any more questions?
- Please contact our team from SPINOFF, The Entrepreneurship Centre @ Singapore Polytechnic by email at:email@example.com
Course Fees payable:
|Singapore Citizens aged below 40 and Singapore PRs||Singapore Citizens||Others|
|Non-SME sponsored||1Sponsored by SME||2Aged 40 and above||3Aged 35 and above, and earn ≤ $2,000 per month|
Singaporeans aged 25 years and above may use **SkillsFuture Credit balance to offset respective course fees.1 Under the Enhanced Training Support for Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs) Scheme. For more information, click here2 Under the SkillsFuture Mid-career Enhanced Subsidy. For more information, visit the SkillsFuture website here.3 Under the Workfare Training Support (WTS) scheme. For more information on the scheme, click here.
1. SkillsFuture (SF) Series
Singaporeans and Singapore PRs are eligible for 70% course fee funding for registration with effect from 28 October 2017. This funding is applicable to both individual and company-sponsored participants. Participants are required to achieve at least 75% attendance and/or sit and pass any prescribed examinations/assessments or submit any course/project work (if any) under the course requirement.
Singaporeans aged 40 years and above will enjoy a 90% subsidy of course fee.
Funding Validity Period: Till 31 Dec 2020
2. SkillsFuture Credit** (SFC)
With effect from January 2016, Singaporeans aged 25 years and above who received their SkillsFuture Credit account activation letter will be eligible for an initial credit of $500 which can be used to pay for course fees for a range of eligible skills-related courses. The credits can be used on top of existing course fee subsidies/funding.
This is only applicable for self-sponsored applicants. Application via SkillsFuture Portal can only be made starting from 60 days before the course commencement date.
3. Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP)
UTAP is a training benefit for NTUC members to defray their cost of training. This benefit is to encourage more NTUC members to go for skills upgrading.
NTUC members enjoy 50% *unfunded course fee support for up to $250 each year when you sign up for courses supported under UTAP.
*Terms and conditions apply. Participants must be paid-up NTUC Members with no arrears in membership fees before course commencement and throughout the whole course duration.
*Unfunded course fee refers to the balance course fee payable after applicable government subsidy. This excludes GST, registration fees, misc. fees etc.
Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy, Singapore Polytechnic via email accordingly:Online Courses
- firstname.lastname@example.orgAll other Courses
For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:Classroom
- 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
- Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
- On or after date of commencement - No refund
- There will be no refund or transfer of course once the account has been created.
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.
The data provided to Singapore Polytechnic will be kept strictly confidential and will be used for the purpose of course administration. The data may be passed on to the relevant organisations that require the information related to the course.
<Registration may be closed once seats are filled up.>
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes:
a) Credit Cards, Internet Banking, NETS (Not Applicable for company sponsored)
For e-payment using Visa/Master cards and Internet Banking, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, you can pay at:
Please make cheques payable to “Singapore Polytechnic”. Do cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number at the back of the cheque. When you have completed required details, you may mail the cheque here.
Please note that an administrative charge of $15 will be imposed for any returned cheques from the bank or financial institution.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.