16 hours / 2 days
9:00am to 6:00pm
Mode of Training:
Facilitated Learning (F2F)
This course offers a comprehensive coverage of the main aspects of plastics technology like classification of plastics, general properties and processing behaviors of commodity, engineering, and high performance thermoplastics, polymer testing and major
fabrication processes with more emphasis on injection moulding, and extrusion processes..
This course offers a comprehensive coverage of many aspects of plastics technology.
1. General Classifications of plastics resins - This topic includes thermoplastics, thermosets, homopolymers, copolymers, regrinds, polymer blends, composites and masterbatches.
2. General properties and processing behavior of thermoplastics - This topic includes Tg, Tm , MFI, crystallization, shrinkage, mould in stress and flow behaviour of plastics melts in injection moulding and extrusion processes.
3. Plastics Processing Methods - This topic includes comprehensive coverage of injection moulding process and an overview of other processes like extrusion, thermoforming, compression, rotational and calendaring processes.
4. Polymer Testings - This topic includes Tensile, Izod, Flexural, Rowell Hardness, HDT and Flammability tests.
5. Thermoplastics - This topic includes the general properties, processing behaviours and applications of commodity thermoplastics, engineering thermoplastics and high performance thermoplastics.
6. Polymer Additives - This topic covers common and important additives like nucleating agents, impact modifiers, glass and carbon fibres, fillers, flame retardants and antioxidants.
7. Materials Selection - It covers a summarised guidelines for selecting the best plastic material in a given application which begins with types of plastics, its general properties, suitable processing methods, choice of right additives and the cost
effectiveness of the selected material.
People working in /as
• plastics production
• quality/technical control
• materials supplier
• sales and marketing department
• new comers in plastics industries and other related industries.
Minimum Entry Requirements / Assumed Skills and Knowledge
The applicant is expected to have basic command of English.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
• Certificate of Attendance (electronic Certificate will be issued)
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to participants who meet at least 75% attendance rate
Mr. Pok Chin Siong is a retired Senior Lecturer (since April 2013) in the School of Chemical and Life Sciences at Singapore Polytechnic(SP) having served there for over 23 years. Outside of his SP-academic related duties, Chin Siong is a highly sought-after workshop facilitator and trainer for plastics industry personnel. His short courses have taken the form of: Public short course, In-house training sessions, Technical Seminars and Consultancy Work, all tailored for the plastics industries in Singapore. His most successful public short course is Engineering Thermoplastics For Injection Moulding which has seen a total of 31 runs over two decades.
More recently (Nov 2013 and July 2019) under PACE Academy Singapore Polytechnic, he has conducted 15th successful runs for the short course on " Fundamentals of Plastics Technology" for the Public.
Mr Pok Chin Siong graduated from the University of Malaya with a BSc in Chemistry with Diploma of Education in 1972. He went on to obtain his Associated London School Of Plastics Technology (ALSPT- First Class Honours1986) and an MSc in Polymer Science With Distinction from the North London University (1987) in United Kingdom. Mr Pok is currently a Senior Adjunct Lecturer with the PACE Academy of Singapore Polytechnic.
Clients Attended Basf, Mitsui Chemicals, Teknor Apex, Lamipak Enviroment PL, Health Science Authority, Vicplas, Cardinal Health, Resin and Pigment, Seiko Instrument, Wah Sin Ind PL, SL Packaging, Sunnigdale, Texchem S'pore Pte Ltd, Baxter Healthcare, Asahi Kasei Plastics S'pore Pte Ltd, Euchem (Asia) Pte Ltd, Swees Engineering Co. Pte Ltd, Fu Yu Corporation Limited, DSTA, DSO, Celanese Pte Ltd, Alpha Plastics, Tanaka Kikinzoku S’pore PL, Eveready Manufacturing PL, LMS Technologies Pte Ltd, Sivantos Pte Ltd, Olympus Technologies Singapore, Cal-Comp Precision (Singapore), Clariant (S’pore) PL, Kim Tat Plastic Industries, Midland Metals Overseas PL, The Polyolefin Company (S) Ptd., Illumina Singapore PL, Forefront Medical, MAP Plastics Pte Ltd, Plexchem Technologies, Becton Dickinson Medical (S) P, Nok Precision Component (S)PL, Kraiburg TPE Technology (M), AB Sciex Pte Ltd, San Ho Technologies PL, Beyonics International , Imerys Asia Pacific, Mitsui Chemicals Pacific, , RTP Company (S), Sanden International (S) and Skanda PL, TPSC, Chosen Plastics, Kinergy Corporation, Merit Medical S’pore, NMB and Singapore Technology Aerospace, West Pharmaceutical , Advanced Materials Technology, 7 Seas PL, Entegris(S) Pte Ltd, Corning Singapore Holdings, Eutech Instruments, Astraltec Pte Ltd, National Heritage Board, Greenland Plastics, Infastech (S) Pte Ltd, Singapore Technologies Aerospa and Somitomo Chemical Asia, TUV SUB PSB PL, Yat Hei Trading, Philip Electronics (S), Institue of Chemical & Engineering Sciences Astar, The Japan Steel Works (S'pore), Banshing Industrial Co.PL, Hoya Medical S'pore PL.