18 Sept to 06 Nov 2019 (Wednesdays evening)
26 Jun to 15 Sept 2019
30 hours / 8 sessions
Mode of Training:
The course aims to help trade professionals to acquire a sufficient depth in the knowledge of wine in order to be able to make the appropriate wine selections and recommendations. It is also useful to wine enthusiasts who would like to go beyond simple wine appreciation and understand the complexities of wines. The participants will also be given an introduction to spirits and sake.
Business and Service Aspects
- Introduction to wine
- Basic white and red wine styles
- Grape varieties
- Wine Growing
- Notion of Terroir
- Vinification of still, sparkling and sweet wines
- World wine regions: France, Italy, Spain, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, S Africa and China
- Quality in wine
- Wine aging
- Introduction to Spirits (emphasis on whisky)
- Introduction to Sake
Lab-Based Sensory Science Session
- Wine glass – Design and selection
- Wine Storage
- Wine Services
- Wine and Food pairing (with introduction to cheese)
- Wine Value-chain analysis
- Wine Industry in Singapore
- Customer’s Profiling and Segmentation
- Retailing concept with onsite visit
- How to increase wine sales
- Sensory Evaluation of wines using ‘Wine, Mind & Sense’ technique
- The science of fermentation
- The chemistry of aromas
- Faults and grey area faults
- Balance in wine
- Experimentation on palate sensitivity to taste and touch
- Individuals from the wine trade industries
- Service staff from Hotels & Restaurants
- Service staff from Wine Retail
- Service staff from Wine Club & Bars
- Wine purchase staff from Wine Distribution
- Individuals who like to embark on a business related to wines
- Individuals who like to deepen his/her understanding in wines for use during official and business entertainment
- Individuals who like to expand their social circles in wines
Minimum Entry Requirements / Assumed Skills and Knowledge
There is no minimum requirement for this course.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Participants who attained at least 75% attendance of the course and successfully passed the assessment will be awarded the Certificate of Performance (electronic Certificate) from Singapore Polytechnic.
Mode of Assessment
There is an assessment on the last day of the course.
| ||Singapore Citizens aged 50 and above ||Singapore PRs/Foreigners|
|Funding available||50% of the course fee excluding GST (capped at $500 per course)||Nil|
|Course Fees Payable||$444.60|
(incl. of GST)
(incl. of GST)
1. Government subsidy will only apply to the course fee portion and will not cover GST
2. For more information on National Silver Academy (NSA), please click here
Please click here for more information on funding incentives.
Early Bird Incentive: Register before 28 Aug 2019
Complimentary 1 vinicasino game set worth
Please note that once the maximum class size is reached, the online registration will be closed.
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes:
a) Credit Cards, Internet Banking, NETS
(Not Applicable for company sponsored)
For e-payment using Visa/Master cards and Internet Banking, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment
, you can pay at:
Singapore PolytechnicPACE Academy
Please make cheques payable to “Singapore Polytechnic”. Do cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number at the back of the cheque. When you have completed required details, you may mail the cheque here
Please note that an administrative charge of $15 will be imposed for any returned cheques from the bank or financial institution.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.
For course specific details: Mr. Malcolm Tham, Course Coordinator