To be advised
9am to 5pm
A basic knowledge of finance is essential for any non-financial professionals to function effectively in his/her current capacity. The ability to understand finance is not only useful as a life skill, but a much needed requirement for non-financial professionals occupying or about to assume a greater leadership role in the organization.
The 1-day course allows participants to :
• Interpret financial information correctly for decision-making
• Understand the impact of your decisions and actions (or non-action) on the “bottom-line” performance of your organisation
• Bridge your communication gap with colleagues from the finance department
• Understand the common yardsticks used in project evaluation
Mid-level PMET with no finance training but may be working in roles that require finance knowledge and skills.
• What is "finance"?
• Relevance of value creation
Use of basic financial tools
• What information do the following convey – Balance Sheet, Profit & Loss Statement
• Using key financial ratios to identify and diagnose financial problems
• Preparation of cash budget
• Learn and apply time value of money concepts to evaluate different streams of cash flow
Sources of long term funds
• Different sources of long term funds –
- Preferred stock
- Common stock and
- Retained earnings
• Relevance of WACC (Weighted Average Cost of Capital)
Evaluating capital investment decisions
• Characteristics of capital expenditure
• Overview of capital budgeting process
• Capital budgeting techniques
- Payback period
- Net present value
- Internal rate of return
Minimum Entry Requirements
Little or no prior formal introduction to the world of finance.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
A Certificate of Attendance will be issued to every participant whose attendance is not less than 75%.
NTUC Union Members:
$20 (inclusive of GST)
Non-NTUC Union Members/Others:
$250 (inclusive of GST)
Course fee after NETF subsidy: $20* per participant
*Terms and conditions apply. Participants must be paid-up NTUC Members with no arrears in membership fees before course commencement and throughout the whole course duration.
Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy, Singapore Polytechnic via email accordingly:Online Courses
- firstname.lastname@example.orgAll other Courses
For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:Classroom
- 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
- Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
- On or after date of commencement - No refund
There will be no refund or transfer of course once the account has been created.
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.
The data provided to Singapore Polytechnic will be kept strictly confidential and will be used for the purpose of course administration. The data may be passed on to the relevant organisations that require the information related to the course.
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes:
Credit Cards, Internet Banking, NETS (Not Applicable for company sponsored)
a) For e-payment using Visa/Master cards and Internet Banking, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, you can pay at:
Blk T1A, Level 1
Mon-Fri: 8:30am to 7:30pm
c) Please make cheques payable to “Singapore Polytechnic”. Please cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number on the back of the cheque. Mail the cheque to:
500 Dover Road
Blk T1A, Level 1
Please note that an administrative charge of $15 will be imposed for any returned cheques from the bank or financial institution.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.