Singapore is expanding its network of rapid transit lines and there will be a need for more skilled personnel to maintain and manage its systems. According to the Land Transport Master Plan 2013, the length of the rail network will double, from 178km
in 2012 to 360km by 2030, and the intervals between trains will shorten from 120 seconds to 100 seconds during peak hours. At the same time, 112 trains and train-cars will be added to the existing fleet of 253.
To support this growing demand from the public transport sector, this course aims to train skilled personnel such as technical officer and assistant engineer for mass rapid transit or rail related industry.
This Work-Study Programme (WSP) aims to provide fresh graduates from Institute of Technical Education with the knowledge and skills to undertake job responsibilities of a technical officer or assistant engineer in signalling or rolling stock.
Course Duration and Training Mode:
Date of Course Commencement:
OJT 360 hours
Facilitated Learning 180 hours
Total: 540 hours
Training Mode :
Facilitated Learning (F2F/ Online Synchronous) conducted by SP and structured On-the-Job Training (OJT) will be conducted by SBS Transit or SMRT.
Singapore Polytechnic (facilitated classroom training) and participating company (on-the-job training).
Diploma in Engineering (Electrical - Rapid Transit Technology)
30 months or 2.5 years
*Two more MCs to complete DEMRT
MC3 + OJT (MC1 & MC2)
MC 1 & 2 : OJT conducted by SBS Transit or SMRT
MC 1: Certificate in Basic Rapid Transit Technology
• Rail Systems Maintenance I
• Workplace Safety and Health I
• Rail Operation
• Maintenance Management
MC 2: Certificate in Advanced Rapid Transit Technology
• Rail Systems Maintenance II
• Workplace Safety and Health II
• Process Improvement & Business Management
• Critical Core Skills (Leadership)
MC 3: Certificate in Basic Engineering Technology
• Statics & Dynamics
• Thermofluid System
• Computer-Aided Drafting
MC4: Certificate in Intermediate Engineering Technology
• Mechanics of Machines & Materials
• Thermofluid Power
• Engineering Materials
MC5*: Certificate in Advanced Engineering Technology
• Mechanics of Machines Element
• Engineering Thermodynamics
• Mechanical Assembly Process
MC5A: Certificate in Advanced Engineering Technology
• Electrical & Control Systems
• Engine Technology
• Hydraulic System
* MC 5 will be the default MC offered to our participants unless participants request for MC 5A as a class
Please click here for module synopsis
The SkillsFuture Work-Study Programme (WSP) is for Singaporeans and Singapore Permanent Residents who are Fresh Nitec/Higher Nitec graduates from one of the ITE in Singapore.
Working adults in the Rapid Transit industry who wish to pick up specialised skills and knowledge should consider our non-WSP courses like the Diploma in Engineering (Rapid Transit Technology).
Minimum Entry Requirements:
1. Applicants must be a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident of Singapore.
2. Applicants must be a graduate with a Full-time ITE NITEC / Higher NITEC Certificate within 36 months of graduation or from his last day of ORD.
3. For ITE graduates, applicants must be a Full-time ITE NITEC graduate with GPA ≥ 2.0 or Higher NITEC qualification in an engineering or information technology discipline.
4. Applicants must also not suffer from serious colour appreciation deficiency.
5. Applicants must be an employee of the rapid transit sector (such as SBS Transit or SMRT) participating in the Work-Study Programme (WSP).
Past/Current Participating Companies:
- SBS Transit Ltd
- SMRT Trains Ltd
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Upon completion of WSP & 2 additional MC, the participant will be conferred Diploma in Engineering (Mechanical – Rapid Transit Technology) from Singapore Polytechnic.
|S/N||Certificate Name||Singapore Citizens ||Singapore Permanent Residents||Enhanced Training Support for SME scheme (For Singapore Citizens)||Enhanced Training Support for SME scheme (For Singapore Permanent Residents)|
|1||Certificate in Basic Rapid Transit Technology||-||-||-||- |
|2||Certificate in Advanced Rapid Transit Technology||-||-||-||-|
|3||Certificate in Basic Engineering Technology||$621.14 ||$1,656.36||$427.64||$495.36 |
|4||Certificate in Intermediate Engineering Technology||$502.69||$1,340.50||$346.09||$400.90|
|5||Certificate in Advanced Engineering Technology ||$502.69||$1,340.50||$346.09||$400.90|
* SkillsFuture Mid-Career Enhanced Funding and Enhanced Training Support for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs). Click here for more details
The fees shown (inclusive of 7% GST) are indicative as they are based on prevailing funding policies and subject to review. Module Certificate fee is payable on a semester basis.
|Other Fees Payable |
|Singapore Citizens||Singapore Permanent Residents|
|Statutory Licence Fee (CLASS)||$1.01||$1.01|
|Insurance Fee (GPA)||$1.70||$1.70|
*Not subjected to GST
- The fees shown (inclusive of 7% GST) are indicative as they are based on prevailing funding policies and subject to review.
- Module Certificate Fee is payable on a semester basis/Post Diploma Module Certificate fee is payable on a semester basis.
- Withdraw within 2 weeks before semester commencement, 70% refund of the paid course fee.
- Withdraw on or after the date of semester commencement, no refund of the paid course fee.
Please note that other fees paid are non-refundable.
For interested applicants, please click here to submit your application.
Only candidates who are shortlisted by SP and hosting companies will be notified to attend interviews. Successful candidates employed by the hosting companies will be placed under the programme.
For interested participating companies, please click here to submit your participation form.
For further enquiries, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
a) For payment via PayNow, please enter the UEN No. T08GB0056ACET and indicate the invoice/registration number.
b) For payment via Telegraphic Transfer, details will be provided in the invoice to companies.
Terms and Conditions