The Advanced Diploma in Chemical Engineering (NACHE) is an 18-month SkillsFuture Work-Study Programme where trainees go through classroom facilitation and On-the-Job Training (OJT) to deepen relevant occupational and industry knowledge and skills. Fresh polytechnic graduates from relevant courses will be employed by participating companies in the chemical industry (or related) as full-time employees while studying part-time through classroom facilitation in Singapore Polytechnic.
By enrolling into the Advanced Diploma in Chemical Engineering (NACHE), candidates can look forward to an exciting and fulfilling life long career in the chemical industry by starting off as Process Technician (or equivalent) with the participating companies.
As Process Technicians, candidates will be required to perform shift duties (typically 8 or 12 hours shift cycle) and they play vital roles at the workplace by assuring the continuous operation of the production units and associated site equipment, while maintaining a safe, reliable, and environmentally compliant facility.
Course Duration and Training Mode:
Date of Course Commencement:
600 hours (18months)
Structured On-the-Job Training (OJT) with participating company will run parallel with the Facilitated Learning (F2F/ Online Synchronous) conducted by SP and carrying out project in collaboration with the company.
Singapore Polytechnic (facilitated classroom training) and participating company (on-the-job training).
Semester 1 (24 weeks)
PDC 1: Chemical Process Principles
Module 1 – Material and Energy Balance
Module 2 – Fluid Mechanics
Module 3 – Heat and Mass Transfer
Semester 2 (24 weeks)
PDC 2: Chemical Process Design and Operation
Module 4 – Separation Processes
Module 5 – Chemical Reaction Engineering
Module 6 - Thermodynamics
Semester 3 (24 weeks)
PDC 3: Chemical Process Control, Optimisation and Safety
Module 6 – Process Control
Module 7 – Process Optimisation
Module 8 – Process Safety
Module 9 – On-The-Job Training*
Please click here for module synopsis
Fresh full-time polytechnic graduates from the relevant fields who wish to deepen their technical skills in the chemical industry (or related) via OJT at participating companies as full time employees in parallel with classroom learning and facilitation at Singapore Polytechnic.
Minimum Entry Requirements:
1. Applicants must be a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident of Singapore.
2. Applicants must be a graduate with a Full-time Polytechnic Diploma/ITE Technical Diploma/ITE Technical Engineering Diploma/ITE Work-Learn Technical Diploma within 36 months of graduation or from his last day of ORD.
3. Applicants must be hired by one of the participating companies for this Work-Study Programme.
4. The list of eligible diplomas offered by local polytechnics are as follows:
• Diploma in Biologics & Process Technology (NYP)
• Diploma in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering (NP)
• Diploma in Chemical & Green Technology (NYP)
• Diploma in Chemical & Pharmaceutical Technology (NYP)
• Diploma in Chemical Engineering (NP/SP/TP)
• Diploma in Chemical Process Technology (SP)
• Diploma in Applied Chemistry with Pharmaceutical Science (SP)
• Diploma in Applied Chemistry (SP)
• Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (SP/NP)
• Diploma in Food Science & Technology (SP)
• Diploma in Food Science & Nutrition (NYP)
• Diploma in Food, Nutrition & Culinary Science (TP)
• Diploma in Applied Science (Nutrition and Food Science) (RP)
• Diploma in Biotechnology (SP/RP/TP)
• Diploma in Biomedical Science (SP/TP/NP/NYP/RP)
• Diploma in Biomedical Engineering (SP/NP/NYP)
• Diploma in Process Engineering (SP)
SP will evaluate individuals who have graduated for more than 36 months but within 5 years from the date of gradation or ORD on a case-by-case basis.
Past/Current Participating Companies:
- Air Liquide Singapore Pte Ltd
- Chevron Oronite Pte Ltd
- Croda Singapore Pte Ltd
- Glaxo Wellcome Manufacturing Pte Ltd
- Hydrochem (S) Pte Ltd
- Mitsui Elastomers Singapore Pte Ltd
- Mitsui Phenols Singapore Pte Ltd
- Prime Evolue Singapore Pte Ltd
- Shell Chemicals Seraya Pte Ltd
- Shell Eastern Petroleum Pte Ltd
- Stolthaven Singapore Pte Ltd
- Vopak Terminals Singapore Pte Ltd
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Upon completion of three Post-Diploma Certificates and fulfilment of the skills competency through OJT within an 18 months validity period, the participant will be conferred an Advanced Diploma in Chemical Engineering qualification from Singapore Polytechnic.
The Advanced Diploma in Chemical Engineering graduates would be given advantageous consideration for admission to the NUS Bachelor of Technology (Chemical Engineering) programme and be exempted from selected modules, subject to them meeting certain minimum requirements.
The Advanced Diploma in Chemical Engineering graduates who apply for SIT, Newcastle University, Bachelor of Engineering in Chemical Engineering, would also be eligible to be exempted from selected modules, subjected to them meeting certain minimum requirements.
The Advanced Diploma in Chemical Engineering graduates are eligible to apply for the Newcastle University Master of Science in Process Safety and Risk Management programme. They would be given advantageous consideration for admission to the programme, subjected to meeting certain minimum requirements.