Duration: 3 days, 24 hours
9am to 5:30pm
Wed, Thu & Fri
What is this course about?
Paper, plastics, metal and glass are the major materials used in modern food packaging. Each material has its unique characteristics but also competes with each other for similar applications. This course will provide an overview of the fundamental considerations in food packaging and preservation. Each of the packaging materials will be examined alongside various processing methods such as retort and aseptic processing. Packaging techniques such as MAP (Modified Atmosphere Packaging), Active and Intelligent Packaging will also be explored. The course will also address other related topics such as safety, logistics and sustainability.
Supervisors, executives and middle management engaged in production, process, quality control, purchasing, marketing as well as R&D activities in food product/packaging.
Assumed Skills and Knowledge
There are no minimum requirements for this course.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the roles and functions of packaging in food
- Know the various food deterioration mechanisms and apply the appropriate preservation techniques and packaging to slow down or inhibit food deterioration
- Understand the properties of different types of packaging materials in the protection and preservation of food through examples and case studies
- Learn the common applications for each type of material in the food industry
- Perform experiments on packaging techniques as well as testing and analysis on different forms of packaging
Mode of Assessment
Participants are required to undertake practical performance and a written test at the end of the course.
Participants will be awarded Statement of Attainment if they achieved at least 75% attendance rate as well as certified competent through all assessments and projects required by the course.
Full Course Fee:
$780.00 (w/o GST)
Please refer to Funding Incentives for more information.
Course Fee: $780.00 (excl GST)
|Funding Type||Funded Amount||Amount Payable (With GST)|
|Singaporeans and PRs||$360.00||$474.60|
|Singapore Citizens 40 years old and above||$702.00||$132.60|
|Workfare Training Support (WTS) letter holders / Singapore Citizens 35 years old and above (13 years and above for Persons With Disabilities) + earning <$2,000||$741.00||$93.60|
|Singapore Citizens & PRs from Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs)||$702.00||$132.60|
Participants have to meet minimum 75% attendance and attain competency in the module. If the 75% attendance and/or competency criteria are not met, participants will have to pay the subsidy amount to Singapore Polytechnic.
With effect from January 2016, Singaporeans aged 25 years and above who received their SkillsFuture Credit account activation letter will be eligible for an initial credit of $500 which can be used to pay for course fees for a range of eligible skills-related courses. The credits can be used on top of existing course fee subsidies/funding.
This is only applicable for Self-Sponsored applicants and must be applied via SkillsFuture Credit Portal
within 30 days prior to course commencement date.
a) For e-payment using Visa/Master cards, please click on the 'Make ePayment' button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, please pay at:
Blk T1A, Level 1
Mon-Fri: 8:30am to 7:30pm
c) Cheques should be made payable to Singapore Polytechnic. Please cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number on the back of the cheque. Mail the cheque to:
ATTN: PACE Academy
500 Dover Road
Blk T1A, Level 1
Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy via email to email@example.com. For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:
• 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
• Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
• On or after date of commencement - No refund
* Unless otherwise stated in the course webpage
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.
Date of Course:
04 - 06 September 2019
Registration End Date:
07 August 2019
Please note that once the maximum class size is reached, the online registration will be closed.
Documents Required for Registration (to be uploaded at point of online registration)
1. Photocopy (back and front) of NRIC for Singaporeans and PRs, or 'Employment'/ 'S' Pass for foreign
2. WSQ Declaration Form (Download here > WSQ Declaration Form)
- For company-sponsored applicant, please proceed to submit the Training Grant (TG) application via SkillsConnect within 30 days before the course start date otherwise full course fee ($834.60) will be charged.
3. Payslip is required for applicant who is 35 years old and above (13 years and above for Persons With Disabilities)with monthly income $2,000.00 or less OR to produce WTS letter to enjoy WTS funding.
IMPORTANT: Applications without ALL of the above required supporting documents will be considered incomplete and rejected. Singapore Polytechnic regrets that we will not be able to inform individual applicants of the incomplete documentation nor disclose the reasons for selection/non-selection of applicants.
General Administration PACE
8.30am - 6.00pm (Mon - Thur)
8.30am - 5.30pm (Fri)
8.30am - 8.00pm (Mon - Fri)
The Office is closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.