Aligned with the national agenda of supporting Singaporeans during the economy downturn, exacerbated by the unprecedented Covid-19 pandemic, the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Singapore Polytechnic, answered to this call by rolling out SGUnited Skills (SGUS) Programmes Computer Engineering Programme, to secure the nation’s generic manufacturing capabilities.
The SGUS Programmes aim to impart our future workforce with industry-relevant competencies, empowering trainees with sector-specific, digital and employability skills & competencies, allowing SGUS Trainees competitive advantages in the job market during economic recovery. SGUS Trainees can look forward to rewarding career opportunities in the Engineering sector.
The Engineering industries remain largely resilient where hiring are still ongoing amidst sluggish job market arising from economic slowdown.
Trainees are required to equip with a computer Notebook (installed with minimally windows10 OS) when attending lessons.
The Programme aims to provide industry-relevant training opportunities for SGUS Trainees to upskill/reskill themselves with skills & competencies. This course provides participants with the knowledge of an Electricity Overview on Acts and Regulations, design of PV systems and skills in the installation and testing Solar PV system.
The Programme is specially designed for individuals to acquire knowledge and skills to work in Energy and Power Industry which will continue to grow despite pandemic and economic downturn.
Industry and Career Options
With the skills and knowledge gained from this programme, trainees will be able to take on new challenges in this sector.
Career options include:
• Solar PV Project Development Engineer
• ESS (Energy Storage Systems) Development Engineer
• Solar PV and ESS (Energy Storage Systems) Development Engineer
Minimum Entry Requirements
Applicant must be a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident aged 21 and above, and is able to commit to the full-time training schedule.
In addition, the target trainees for SGUS programmes will exclude the following:
a) Graduated or graduating in Calendar Year (CY) 2019 / 2020 /2021 from ITE, Polytechnics, Universities, and other educational institutions. This includes graduates from private universities as well as overseas institutions; and
b) Graduated from the educational institutions mentioned in (a) and completed or completing their National Service (NS) in CY 2019 / 2020 / 2021 and are entering the labour force.
Individuals who took on post-graduate programmes (both directly after undergraduate programmes and mid-careerists with working experience) in CY2019 / 2020 / 2021 will not be eligible for SGUS.
Applicants must have any of the following qualifications:
1. GCE 'O' Level:
English Language Grade 1 – 7
Mathematics (Elementary or Additional) Grade 1 – 6
Science Grade 1 – 6
2. Nitec or Nitec in Technology in any engineering field.
3. Higher Nitec or Higher Nitec in Technology in any engineering field.
4. Relevant WSQ Diploma qualification in any engineering field.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Applicants who do not meet the entry requirements may be considered for admission to the course based on evidence of at least 5 years of relevant working experience or supporting evidence of competency readiness. Suitable applicants who are shortlisted may have to go through an interview and/or entrance test. The Polytechnic reserves the right to shortlist and admit applicants.
The Programme consists of four (4) certificates to be conducted within 6 months. Classes will be conducted in full-time mode.
1. Certificate in Essential Skills to Enhance Employability
2. Certificate in Electrical Design and Acts & Regulations
3. Certificate in PV system Design and Power Quality
4. Certificate in IoT, Data Management and 5G Technology
Please click here for topic synopsis.
*Certificates may not be conducted according to the sequence listed.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
• Upon passing all modules in each Certificate, trainees will be awarded a Certificate
• Upon completion of all the certificates, trainees will be awarded a Certificate of Completion in SGUS programme
Please refer here for the FAQ on SGUS programme.
Full Fees (inclusive of GST): $17,548.00
Subsidised Fees for Singaporeans & Singapore PR (inclusive of GST): $500.00
Trainees must fulfil minimum attendance requirements and pass assessments to qualify for course fee subsidies. Trainees who are unable to meet these requirements may be asked to return the course fee subsidies that they have received.
Withdrawal & Refund Policy:
• The programmes allow trainees to exit without penalty if they are successfully placed into a job or have secured a job on their own accord while undergoing training. However, trainees who exit the programme
without a valid reason may be asked to return the course fee subsidy that they have received.
• Refund of paid course fees will be pro-rated based on certificates that have not commenced
• Trainees who wish to exit from the programme
must write to email@example.com