This SGUS Maritime Superintendency Programme is offered by the Singapore Maritime Academy of the Singapore Polytechnic. This course is designed for job seekers who have no marine related experiences but are keen to work in the marine and maritime industry.
It is also suitable for those who have experience as marine engineers and nautical officers who wish to have the opportunity to enhance and deepen their skills in this area of marine superintenency. This programme conducted full-time can be completed
in one year.
Trainees are required to equip with a computer Notebook (installed with minimally windows10 OS) when attending lessons.
This Programme aims to provide trainees with general knowledge of Basic operational skills in ship operation as well as advanced maritime management knowledge so as to equip trainees with holistic skillsets necessary to apply these skills broadly across
the maritime industry. This Programme cover both Sea transport and Shore based maritime business and management disciplines.
Individuals who wish to be employed in the marine and maritime industry performing management, administrative and operational functions directly related to the industry.
Industry and Career Options
Maritime Business Development
• Shipyard marketing executive
• Classification society marketing executive
• Marine service provider marketing executive
• Marine equipment marketing executive
/ forwarding marketing executive
• Marine insurance / underwriter marketing executive
Fleet- ships Management
• Technical operation executive / Superintendent
• Marine operation executive / Superintendent
• HSQE executive / Superintendent
• Purchasing executive / Superintendent
executive / Superintendent
• Project management executive / Superintendent
• Offshore construction company marine operation executive / superintendent.
• Marine Seismic company marine operation executive / superintendent
• Oil majors marine operation executive / superintendent
• Commodity trading company marine operation executive / superintendent.
• Classification society surveyors/auditor
• Classification society engineers/auditor
• Flag/port admin inspector
• Third party warranty surveyors.
Minimum Entry Requirements
Applicant must be a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident aged 21 and above, and is able to commit to the full-time training schedule.
In addition, the target trainees for SGUS programmes will exclude the following:
a) Graduated or graduating in Calendar Year (CY) 2019 / 2020 from ITE, Polytechnics, Universities, and other educational institutions. This includes graduates from private universities as well as overseas institutions and part-time / post-graduate programmes; and
b) Graduated from the educational institutions mentioned in (a) and completed or completing their National Service (NS) in CY 2019 / 2020 and are entering the labour force.
Applicants with any of the following qualifications are invited to apply for the programme:
1. GCE ‘O’ Level:
English Language Grade 1 – 7
Mathematics (Elementary or Additional) Grade 1 – 6
Science Grade 1 – 6
2. Nitec / Nitec in Technology in technology or engineering
3. Higher Nitec/ Higher Nitec in Technology in in technology or engineering
4. Relevant WSQ Diploma qualification or equivalent in any discipline
Recognition of Prior Learning
Applicants who do not meet the entry requirements may be considered for admission to the course based on evidence of at least 5 years of relevant working experience or supporting evidence of competency readiness. Suitable applicants who are shortlisted
may have to go through an interview and/or entrance test. The Polytechnic reserves the right to shortlist and admit applicants.
The Programme consists of six (6) certificates to be conducted within one (1) academic year. Classes will be conducted in full-time mode.
1. Certificate in Communication and Interpersonal Skills
This certificate covers the key communication areas which include mindset transformation, emotional intelligence (EQ), communications between generations and building digital
confidence in the workplace.
2. Certificate in Introduction to Analytics, Cyber Security, AI and Blockchain
This certificate introduces key concepts in the areas of data and visual analytics using Power BI, statistics, cyber security, blockchain, AI and machine
3. Certificate in Essential and Emerging Skills for Employability
This certificate covers fundamentals in various essential areas within an organisation, which includes human resource, finance, design thinking, robotic process automation
and digital marketing.
4. Certificate in Maritime Superintendency 1
This course syllabus is designed with the aim of skills deepening for those who have some prior experience in ship management operations. Having some prior knowledge of ship operation
and management is an advantage. Professionals in other relevant fields who are keen to switch to a career in the maritime industry encouraged to apply.
5. Certificate in Maritime Superintendency 2
At the end of the course, candidates will acquire a sound understanding of the roles and responsibilities of maritime superintendent to ensure safe, economic and efficient operation of
the ships and offshore vessels. They will also be able to manage and operate vessels in accordance with organisation policies, operating procedures and management systems.
All the certificates and modules provide opportunities for learners to embark on an industry project either in-house or in an attachment to a maritime related company.
Please click here for here synopsis.
*Certificates may not be conducted according to the sequence listed.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
• Upon completion of the modules in each Certificate, trainees will be awarded a Certificate of Completion
• Upon completion of all the certificates, trainees will be awarded with a SGUS Maritime Superintendency certificate.
Please refer here for the FAQ on SGUS programme.