This SGUS Maritime Superintendency Programme is offered by the Singapore Maritime Academy of the Singapore Polytechnic. This course is designed for job seekers who have no marine related experiences but are keen to work in the marine and maritime industry. It is also suitable for those who have experience as marine engineers and nautical officers who wish to have the opportunity to enhance and deepen their skills in this area of marine superintendency.
Trainees are required to equip with a computer Notebook (installed with minimally windows10 OS) when attending lessons.
This Programme, covering both Sea transport and Shore based maritime business and management disciplines, aims to provide trainees with general knowledge of Basic operational skills in ship operation and advanced maritime management knowledge to equip them with holistic skillsets necessary to apply these skills broadly across the maritime industry.
Individuals who wish to be employed in the marine and maritime industry performing management, administrative and operational functions directly related to the industry.
Industry and Career Options
With the skills and knowledge gained from this programme, learners will be able to take on new challenges in the sector and the job roles are as follows:
Maritime Business Development
• Shipyard marketing executive
• Classification society marketing executive
• Marine service provider marketing executive
• Marine equipment marketing executive
• Logistic / forwarding marketing executive.
• Marine insurance / underwriter marketing executive
Fleet- ships Management
• Technical operation executive / Superintendent
• Marine operation executive / Superintendent
• HSQE executive / Superintendent
• Purchasing executive / Superintendent
• Crewing executive / Superintendent
• Project management executive / Superintendent
• Offshore construction company marine operation executive / superintendent
• Marine Seismic company marine operation executive / superintendent
• Oil majors marine operation executive / superintendent
• Commodity trading company marine operation executive / superintendent
• Classification society surveyors/auditor
• Classification society engineers/auditor
• Flag/port admin inspector
• Third party warranty surveyors
Minimum Entry Requirements
Applicant must be a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident aged 21 and above, and is able to commit to the full-time training schedule.
In addition, the target trainees for SGUS programmes will exclude the following:
a) Graduated or graduating in Calendar Year (CY) 2019 / 2020 /2021 from ITE, Polytechnics, Universities, and other educational institutions. This includes graduates from private universities as well as overseas institutions; and
b) Graduated from the educational institutions mentioned in (a) and completed or completing their National Service (NS) in CY 2019 / 2020 / 2021 and are entering the labour force.
Individuals who took on post-graduate programmes (both directly after undergraduate programmes and mid-careerists with working experience) in CY2019 / 2020 / 2021 will not be eligible for SGUS.
Applicants with any of the following qualifications are invited to apply for the programme:
1. GCE ‘O’ Level:
English Language Grade 1 – 7
Mathematics (Elementary or Additional) Grade 1 – 6
Science Grade 1 – 6
2. Nitec / Nitec in Technology in technology or engineering
3. Higher Nitec/ Higher Nitec in Technology in in technology or engineering
4. Relevant WSQ Diploma qualification or equivalent in any discipline
Recognition of Prior Learning
Applicants who do not meet the entry requirements may be considered for admission to the course based on evidence of at least 5 years of relevant working experience or supporting evidence of competency readiness. Suitable applicants who are shortlisted may have to go through an interview and/or entrance test. The Polytechnic reserves the right to shortlist and admit applicants.
The Programme consists of three (3) certificates to be conducted within 7 months. Classes will be conducted in full-time mode.
1. Certificate in Essential and Emerging Skills for Employability
2. Certificate in Maritime Superintendency 1
3. Certificate in Maritime Superintendency 2
Please click here for here synopsis.
*Certificates may not be conducted according to the sequence listed.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
• Upon passing all modules in each Certificate, trainees will be awarded a Certificate
• Upon completion of all the certificates, trainees will be awarded A Certificate of Completion in SGUS programme
Please refer here for the FAQ on SGUS programme.