Data is ubiquitous in government and in industry sectors including banking, insurance, healthcare, telecommunications, design and manufacturing, and retail. The need to handle, prepare, analyse and model data of varied structures is prevalent in the modern day industrial setting. This course provides graduates with fundamental skills in statistics, data mining and predictive analytics that are required by jobs in these industries. Such jobs involve extracting, cleaning, managing, analysing and modelling data that is useful to the business.
The specific objectives of the SGUS Specialist Diploma in Data Science and Analytics are to provide training in the fundamentals of statistics and programming for data science, as well as in specialised skills in the areas of data mining, applied statistical methods, statistical modelling and prediction. Graduates of the course will be trained in preparing data, summarising and presenting data, performing statistical analysis of univariate and multivariate data, using descriptive models to uncover patterns in data, developing, applying and deploying predictive models and quantifying risks associated with prediction.
Trainees are required to equip with a computer Notebook (installed with minimally windows10 OS) when attending lessons.
The objective of the programme is to provide foundational training in the fundamental concepts and methods in statistics and programming as well as in specialized skills in specific domains in data science such as Data Analytics, and Statistical Data Modelling.
People who want a career in Data Science, Business analysts, Business executives, people who want to learn the fundamentals of statistical analysis, data wrangling, visualization, model building, prediction and error-quantification in model predictions.
Industry and Career Options
With the skills and knowledge gained from this programme, participants will be able to take on new challenges in data analytics and statistics-related work which is critical to the fast growing data-driven economy of Singapore and to the fast changing industry-landscape here.
Career options include:
• Data Analysts
• Business Analyst
• Manufacturing and Design Engineers
• Researchers working with data
Minimum Entry Requirements
Applicant must be a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident aged 21 and above, and is able to commit to the full-time training schedule.
In addition, the target trainees for SGUS programmes will exclude the following:
a) Graduated or graduating in Calendar Year (CY) 2019 / 2020 /2021 from ITE, Polytechnics, Universities, and other educational institutions. This includes graduates from private universities as well as overseas institutions; and
b) Graduated from the educational institutions mentioned in (a) and completed or completing their National Service (NS) in CY 2019 / 2020 / 2021 and are entering the labour force.
Individuals who took on post-graduate programmes (both directly after undergraduate programmes and mid-careerists with working experience) in CY2019 / 2020 / 2021 will not be eligible for SGUS.
Applicants applying to be enrolled in this programme must satisfy at least one of the following entry requirements:
1) An engineering diploma from a polytechnic in Singapore,
2) Any diploma from a polytechnic in Singapore and
• a C6 or better in Additional Mathematics in the O-level examinations; or
• a C grade or better in a one-semester polytechnic mathematics module that substantially covers the Additional Mathematics syllabus or
• relevant work experience (considered on a case-by-case basis).
3) Any degree from one of the following Singapore universities: NUS, NTU, SMU, SUTD, SIT, or UniSIM. Candidates with degrees from other universities will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Applicants who do not meet the entry requirements may be considered for admission to the course based on evidence of at least 5 years of relevant working experience or supporting evidence of competency readiness. Suitable applicants who are shortlisted may have to go through an interview and/or entrance test. The Polytechnic reserves the right to shortlist and admit applicants.
The Programme consists of four (4) certificates to be conducted within 6 months. Classes will be conducted in full-time mode.
1. Certificate in Essential Skills to Enhance Employability (1 month)
2. Certificate in Fundamentals of Data Science (2 months)
3. Certificate in Data Analytics (2 months)
4. Certificate in Linear Statistical Models (1 month)
Please click here for topic synopsis.
*Certificates may not be conducted according to the sequence listed.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
• Upon passing all modules in each certificate (certificate 1 and 4), trainees will be awarded a Certificate
• Upon completion of all modules in certificate 2 and 3, trainees will be awarded with the Post-Diploma Certificates (PDC) respectively. Upon successfully acquiring these 2 PDCs, trainees will be conferred with a SGUS Specialist Diploma in Data Science (Data Analytics) from SP
• Upon completion of all the certificates, trainees will be awarded a Certificate of Completion in SGUS programme
Please refer here for the FAQ on SGUS programme.