The Energy and Chemical sector in Singapore, which employs 26,000 people, was the top contributor to Singapore’s manufacturing output in 2015 at 28.6%. The flourishing industry is also one of the top ten global chemicals hub. Sub-sectors of the E&C include petroleum, petrochemicals as well as specialty chemicals. Due to the strong presence of the energy and chemical companies in Singapore, the demand for laboratory technicians remains high. To better support the demand of lab technicians at the diploma level, the ELP targeting ITE graduates is proposed as one of the ways to increase the pool of trained talents in this industry by equipping them with the required skillsets.
This Earn and Learn Programme (ELP) aims to provide fresh graduates from Institute of Technical Education with the knowledge and skills to undertake job responsibilities of a laboratory technician in the chemical (or related) industry.
Fresh full-time NITEC/Higher NITEC graduates from the relevant fields who wish to deepen their skills as a chemical laboratory technician via classroom learning and On-Job-Training at the company.
Past and Current Participating Companies
- Admaterials Technologies Pte Ltd
- Glaxo Wellcome Manufacturing Pte Ltd
- Intertek Testing Services (Singapore) Pte Ltd
- Labtechnic Testing Service Pte Ltd
- Pride-Chem Industries Pte Ltd
- SGS Testing And Control Services Singapore Pte Ltd
- Sunward Pharmaceutical Pte Ltd
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Applicants must not suffer from serious colour appreciation deficiency.
- The participant shall be an ITE Nitec with GPA ≥ 2.0 or a Higher Nitec graduate in a Chemical-related discipline.
- The participant shall be an ITE Nitec or Higher Nitec graduate of a chemical-related course within 5 years of graduation or from his last day of National Service (ORD).
This course consists of 5 modular certificates (MC).
The first 18-month of the course is a SkillsFuture Earn and Learn Programme (comprising 3 Modular Certificates) where trainees go through classroom facilitation and On-the-Job Training (OJT) to deepen relevant occupational and industry knowledge and skills. The first 3 modular certificates comprise of academic modules conducted by Singapore Polytechnic and on-the-job-training (OJT) programme conducted by the participating companies for their respective employees
Participants have the option to complete two additional modular certificates after the SkillsFuture Earn and Learn Programme to obtain a Diploma in Applied Science (Chemical Laboratory Technology). The course structure for the ELP and DACL programme is shown below.
MC 1: Certificate in Basic Laboratory Techniques and Safety
- Laboratory Skills & Techniques I
- Laboratory Skills & Techniques II
- Chemical & Biosafety
MC 2: Certificate in Laboratory Instrumentation & Separation Science
- Synthesis & Separation Techniques
MC3: Certificate in Laboratory Analysis & Management
- Applications in Laboratory Analysis
- Applied Statistics & Quality Assurance+
- Good Laboratory Practices & Management+
- On-Job-Training (OJT)
For Participant who wish to continue and obtain the Diploma in Applied Science (Chemical Laboratory Technology)
MC4: Certificate in Organic & Investigative Chemistry
- Basic Biochemistry+
- Organic Chemistry – Reaction Mechanisms*
- Forensic Chemistry*
MC5: Certificate in Industrial Chemical Applications
- Petrochemicals & its Applications*
- Materials for the Modern World+
- Environmental & Water Technology
* The sypnosis of the course can be found here
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Upon completion of five Certificates within a five-year validity period, the participant will be conferred a Diploma qualification from Singapore Polytechnic.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Which universities can I apply to after I complete my CET Diploma?
You can apply to part-time undergraduate programmes which are relevant to your diploma course at NUS and UniSIM.
Please click here for more information on NUS, Bachelor of Technology (Btech)
2. Will I need to take any bridging programme?
The revised part-time diploma is intended to be more accessible to the workforce, and is made shorter in duration compared to the full-time diploma because broad-based interdisciplinary modules, final year projects and internships, as well as academic modules such as Mathematics and Sciences, are omitted. As such, most part-time undergraduate programmes would require you to go through a bridging programme to prepare you adequately before admission.
3. If I need to take the bridging programme, how much will it cost and how long will it take?
While the bridging programmes are currently being worked out by the polytechnics and universities, the duration will depend on the type and nature of the part-time degree course that you apply for, and are expected to be between six months to a year. The fees will not be more expensive than undergraduate modules of comparable duration.
Course Fee Payable
1. Course Fee:
Diploma in Applied Science (Chemical Laboratory Technology)
|Modular Certificates (MC)
Below the age of 40
Aged 40 and above
||Enhanced Training Support for SME scheme
||Workfare Training Support scheme
|Certificate in Basic Laboratory Techniques and Safety
|Certificate in Laboratory Instrumentation & Separation Science
|Certificate in Laboratory Analysis & Management
|Certificate in Organic & Investigative Chemistry
|Certificate in Industrial Chemical Applications
|Total Course Fees:
The fees shown (inclusive of 7% GST) are indicative as they are based on prevailing funding policies and subject to review. Module Certificate fee is payable on a semester basis.
Other Fees Payable:
||Per semester (after GST)
||Singapore PR and others
|Statutory Licence Fee (CLASS)
|Insurance Fee (GPA)
|Students' Union Entrance Fee
(one-time payment upon enrolment)
|Students' Union Subscription Fee
*Not subjected to GST
- The fees shown (inclusive of 7% GST) are indicative as they are based on prevailing funding policies and subject to review.
- Module Certificate Fee is payable on a semester basis.
- Part-Time Diploma course participants who submit the withdrawal notification 2 weeks before course commencement, an administrative fee of $50 (before GST) and Student Union related fees would be levied.
Terms and Conditions
Back to top