Manufacturing has been a key engine for the Singapore’s economy, accounting for about a fifth of its gross domestic product. As this trend is expected to continue, the SP School of Mechanical & Aeronautical Engineering is pleased to introduce our new Diploma in Engineering (Advanced Manufacturing). This course will better prepare our working adults with the necessary skills and knowledge for their future career advancement and to meet the future demands for the necessary skillsets targeting advanced manufacturing.
This course aims to provide the students with a strong foundation in Manufacturing Technology to enable them to understand, analyse and solve daily problems at work as an Associate Engineer/Assistant Engineer. In addition, it also aims to equip the students with the necessary skillsets to take on the future challenges in technological developments. The modules have been carefully selected to address the necessary skills and knowledge required by a person who aspires career advancement in manufacturing.
This course is specially designed to target at engineers, assistant engineers, technicians, technical supervisors and other personnel, who are seeking to better prepare themselves with the necessary skills and knowledge, for future career advancement to meet the future demands for the necessary skillsets targeting advanced manufacturing in the PE sector. This course is also suitable for people who intend to make a conversion to these technical areas in their career pursuit.
Minimum Entry Requirements
Applicants must ensure they do not suffer from colour appreciation and hearing deficiencies or medical conditions such epilepsy. In the interest of general safety, admission of these applicants is at the discretion of Singapore Polytechnic.
Applicants with any of the following qualifications are invited to apply for the diploma:
1. The following GCE 'O' Level grades and with at least 3 years of relevant working experience:
- English Language Grade 1 – 7
- Mathematics (Elementary or Additional) Grade 1 – 6
- Science Grade 1 – 6
2. NITEC in an engineering discipline with GPA of 3.5 or higher and 2 or more years of relevant work experience.
3. Higher NITEC in an engineering discipline with 1 or more years of relevant work experience.
4. Nitec in Technology in an engineering discipline with GPA ≥ 3.5 with at least 2 years of relevant working experience and successful completion of bridging programme conducted by ITE.
5. Higher Nitec in Technology in an engineering discipline with at least 1 year of relevant working experience and successful completion of bridging programme conducted by ITE.
6. WSQ (Workforce Skills Qualifications) in an engineering discipline with 3 or more years of relevant work experience and Workplace Literacy and Numeracy (WPLN) level 6.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Applicants who do not meet the entry requirements may be considered for admission to the course based on evidence of at least 5 years of relevant working experience or supporting evidence of competency readiness. Suitable applicants who are shortlisted will have to go through an interview and/or entrance test. The Polytechnic reserves the right to shortlist and admit applicants.
This course consists of 15 modules conducted over five semesters within 2.5 years on a part-time basis. Classes will be conducted in three evenings per week for 15 weeks each semester.
This course consists of 5 Modular Certificates (MC). Each MC will consist of 3 modules and the details are as follows:
MC 1 Modular Certificate in Engineering Drafting & Design (EDD)
Module 1 – Computer-Aided Drafting
Module 2 – GD&T Applications
Module 3 – Parts Design Engineering
MC 2 Modular Certificate in Productivity & Quality Improvement (PQI)
Module 1 – Industrial Engineering
Module 2 – Quality Engineering & Management
Module 3 – Tooling Engineering
Participants who have completed a QIANG programme under the Singapore Manufacturing Federation (SMF) is eligible to gain exemption to MC2.
MC 3 Modular Certificate in Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM)
Module 1 – CNC Turning Technology
Module 2 – CNC Milling Technology
Module 3 – Multi-axis Machining Applications
MC 4 Modular Certificate in Manufacturing Technology (MFT)
Module 1 – Manufacturing Processes
Module 2 – Data Analytics for Advanced Manufacturing
Module 3 – Automation & Robotics in Advanced Manufacturing
MC 5 Modular Certificate in IoT in Manufacturing (IMF)
Module 1 – IoT Systems and Design
Module 2 – PLC for Advanced Manufacturing
Module 3 – Industrial IoT
The synopsis of the modules can be found here.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Upon completion of all five Modular Certificates within a five-year validity period, the participant will be conferred a Diploma qualification from Singapore Polytechnic.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Which universities can I apply to after I complete my CET Diploma? You can apply to part-time undergraduate programmes which are relevant to your diploma course at NUS and UniSIM.
Please click here for more information on NUS, Bachelor of Technology (Btech)
2. Will I need to take any bridging programme?
The revised part-time diploma is intended to be more accessible to the workforce, and is made shorter in duration compared to the full-time diploma because broad-based interdisciplinary modules, final year projects and internships, as well as academic modules such as Mathematics and Sciences, are omitted. As such, most part-time undergraduate programmes would require you to go through a bridging programme to prepare you adequately before admission.
3. If I need to take the bridging programme, how much will it cost and how long will it take?
While the bridging programmes are currently being worked out by the polytechnics and universities, the duration will depend on the type and nature of the part-time degree course that you apply for, and are expected to be between six months to a year. The fees will not be more expensive than undergraduate modules of comparable duration.
click here for Funding Incentives and Fees Matters
|DIPLOMA IN ENGINEERING (ADVANCED MANUFACTURING)|
|MODULAR CERTIFICATES (MC)||SINGAPORE CITIZENS BELOW THE AGE OF 40||SINGAPORE CITIZENS AGED 40 AND ABOVE||SINGAPORE PR||ENHANCED TRAINING SUPPORT FOR SME SCHEME||WORKFARE TRAINING SUPPORT SCHEME||OTHERS / REPEAT STUDENTS|
|Certificate in Engineering Drafting & Design (EDD)||$470.91||$313.94||$1,255.75||$324.21||$177.51||$3,139.38|
|Certificate in Productivity & Quality Improvement (PQI)||$470.91||$313.94||$1,255.75||$324.21||$177.51||$3,139.38|
|Certificate in Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM)||$470.91||$313.94||$1,255.75||$324.21||$177.51||$3,139.38|
|Certificate in Manufacturing Technology (MFT)||$470.91||$313.94||$1,255.75||$324.21||$177.51||$3,139.38|
|Certificate in IoT in Manufacturing||$470.91||$313.94||$1,255.75||$324.21||$177.51||$3,139.38|
|Total Course Fees:||$2,354.55||$1,569.70||$6,278.75||$1,621.05||$887.55||$15,696.90|
The fees shown (inclusive of 7% GST) are indicative as they are based on prevailing funding policies and subject to review. Module Certificate fee is payable on a semester basis.
Other Fees Payable:
|FEE DESCRIPTION||PER SEMESTER (AFTER GST)|
|SINGAPORE CITIZENS||SINGAPORE PR AND OTHERS|
|Statutory Licence Fee (CLASS)||$0.94||$0.94|
|Insurance Fee (GPA)||$0.85||$0.85|
|Students' Union Entrance Fee (one-time payment upon enrolment)||$5.00*(non-refundable)||$5.00*(non-refundable)|
|Students' Union Subscription Fee||$4.50* (non-refundable)||$4.50*(non-refundable)|
*Not subjected to GST
- The fees shown (inclusive of 7% GST) are indicative as they are based on prevailing funding policies and subject to review.
- Module Certificate Fee is payable on a semester basis.
- Part-Time Diploma course participants who submit the withdrawal notification 2 weeks before course commencement, an administrative fee of $50 (before GST) and Student Union related fees would be levied.
Click here for application Procedure
Date of Course Commencement:
16 Apr 2018
12 Jan - 28 Feb 2018
* Registration may be closed once seats are filled up
3 evenings a week
6.30pm to 10.30pm
900 hours (2.5yr)
MC to start with:
For course specific details, please contact the course manager:
Name: Daniel Lim