This Diploma course in Engineering (Rapid Transit Technology) complies with the revised CET Diploma Framework. The framework specifies that each CET diploma course consists of five 180-hour modular certificates (MC). Each MC is designed to be completed in one academic semester and is made up of 150 contact hours and 30 self-directed learning hours. The self-directed learning hours are non-timetabled curriculum hours set aside for self-paced learning activities like eLearning or project assignments.
This diploma aims to provide adult learners with the knowledge and skills required to undertake job responsibility at diploma level in the rapid transit segment of land transportation industry.
People who intend to work in rapid transit or associated land transport industries that include signalling, communications and control systems, traction drives, power distribution system, and facilities in operation control centre, etc. that require specialists in electrical/electronic engineering to carry out electrical work such as installation, maintenance, operation, inspection and testing as well as submission of plans and drawings of rapid transit sub-systems.
Minimum Entry Requirements
Applicants must not suffer from serious colour appreciation deficiency.
Applicants with any of the following qualifications are invited to apply for the Part-Time diploma:
a) The following GCE 'O' Level grades and with at least 3 years of relevant working experience:
English Language Grade 1 – 7
Mathematics (Elementary or Additional) Grade 1 – 6
Science Grade 1 – 6
Science can be one of the following subjects:
Design & Technology
Electricity & Electronics
Fundamentals of Electronics
Integrated Science/Additional Combined Science
Science (Chemistry, Biology)
Science (Physics, Biology)
Science (Physics, Chemistry)
Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology)
b) Nitec with GPA ≥ 3.5 in an engineering or information technology discipline and with at least 2 years of relevant working experience
c) Higher Nitec in an engineering or information technology discipline with at least 1 year of relevant working experience.
d) Nitec in Technology in an engineering or information technology discipline with GPA ≥ 3.5 with at least 2 years of relevant working experience and successful completion of bridging programme conducted by ITE.
e) Higher Nitec in Technology in an engineering or information technology discipline with at least 1 year of relevant working experience and successful completion of bridging programme conducted by ITE
f) Relevant WSQ Diploma qualification or equivalent with at least 3 years of relevant working experience and WPLN at Level ≥ 6 for
English and Mathematics.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Applicants who do not meet the entry requirements may be considered for admission to the course based on evidence of at least 5 years of relevant working experience or supporting evidence of competency readiness. Suitable applicants who are shortlisted will have to go through an interview and/or entrance test. The Polytechnic reserves the right to shortlist and admit applicants.
The course is a 2.5 years part-time programme. It consists of 5 Modular Certificates (MC) conducted over 5 semesters, 1 MC per semester. The first MC to start with is MC1. The classes are conducted in the evening. Each MC comprises two modules and the details are as follows:
MC 1 - Certificate in Electrical and Digital Circuit Fundamentals
Module 1 - Electrical Principles
Module 2 - Digital Principles
MC 2 - Certificate in Rapid Transit System
Module 1 - Rapid Transit System
Module 2 – Electrical Control System
MC 3 - Certificate in Signalling, Communications & Control
Module 1 - Rapid Transit Signalling System
Module 2 - PLC Applications
MC 4 - Certificate in Electrical Systems
Module 1 - Electrical Installation & Power Distribution
Module 2 - Electrical Power Systems
MC 5 - Certificate in Communication Systems
Module 1 - Networks & Protocols
Module 2 - Digital Communications
The synopsis of the modules can be found here.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Upon completion of five Certificates within a five-year validity period, the participant will be conferred a Diploma qualification from Singapore Polytechnic.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Which universities can I apply to after I complete my CET Diploma? You can apply to part-time undergraduate programmes which are relevant to your diploma course at NUS and UniSIM.
Please click here for more information on NUS, Bachelor of Technology (Btech)
2. Will I need to take any bridging programme? The revised part-time diploma is intended to be more accessible to the workforce, and is made shorter in duration compared to the full-time diploma because broad-based interdisciplinary modules, final year projects and internships, as well as academic modules such as Mathematics and Sciences, are omitted. As such, most part-time undergraduate programmes would require you to go through a bridging programme to prepare you adequately before admission.
3. If I need to take the bridging programme, how much will it cost and how long will it take? While the bridging programmes are currently being worked out by the polytechnics and universities, the duration will depend on the type and nature of the part-time degree course that you apply for, and are expected to be between six months to a year. The fees will not be more expensive than undergraduate modules of comparable duration.
Click here for Funding Incentives and Fees Matters
|DIPLOMA IN ENGINEERING (RAPID TRANSIT TECHNOLOGY)|
|MODULAR CERTIFICATES (MC)||SINGAPORE CITIZENS BELOW THE AGE OF 40||SINGAPORE CITIZENS AGED 40 AND ABOVE||SINGAPORE PR||ENHANCED TRAINING SUPPORT FOR SME SCHEME||WORKFARE TRAINING SUPPORT SCHEME||OTHERS / REPEAT STUDENTS|
|Certificate in Electrical and Digital Circuit Fundamentals||$470.91||$313.94||$1,255.75||$324.21||$177.51||$3,139.38|
|Certificate in Rapid Transit System||$470.91||$313.94||$1,255.75||$324.21||$177.51||$3,139.38|
|Certificate in Signalling, Communications & Control||$470.91||$313.94||$1,255.75||$324.21||$177.51||$3,139.38|
|Certificate in Electrical Systems||$470.91||$313.94||$1,255.75||$324.21||$177.51||$3,139.38|
|Certificate in Communication Systems||$470.91||$313.94||$1,255.75||$324.21||$177.51||$3,139.38|
|Total Course Fees:||$2,354.55||$1,569.70||$6,278.75||$1,621.05||$887.55||$15,696.90|
The fees shown (inclusive of 7% GST) are indicative as they are based on prevailing funding policies and subject to review. Module Certificate fee is payable on a semester basis.Other Fees Payable:
|FEE DESCRIPTION||PER SEMESTER (AFTER GST)|
|SINGAPORE CITIZENS||SINGAPORE PR AND OTHERS|
|Statutory Licence Fee (CLASS)||$0.94||$0.94|
|Insurance Fee (GPA)||$0.85||$0.85|
|Students' Union Entrance Fee (one-time payment upon enrolment)||$5.00* (non-refundable)||$5.00* (non-refundable)|
|Students' Union Subscription Fee||$4.50* (non-refundable)||$4.50* (non-refundable)|
*Not subjected to GST
- The fees shown (inclusive of 7% GST) are indicative as they are based on prevailing funding policies and subject to review.
- Module Certificate Fee is payable on a semester basis.
- Part-Time Diploma course participants who submit the withdrawal notification 2 weeks before course commencement, an administrative fee of $50 (before GST) and Student Union related fees would be levied.
Date of Course Commencement:
16 Apr 2018
1 Dec 2017 - 15 Feb 2018
* Registration may be closed once seats are filled upClass schedule:
2-3 evenings a week
6:30pm - 10:30pm
900 hours (2.5yr)
MC to start with: