Birth of the School of Mechanical & Aeronautical Engineering (MAE)
Listed here are some significant milestones that include the birth of the School of Mechanical & Aeronautical Engineering:-
- Launch of Technician Diploma in Mechanical Engineering.
- Singapore Polytechnic was officially opened in the Prince Edward
Road campus by Duke of Edinburgh on 24 February and an internal system
of examination was instituted, leading to the Polytechnic's awards at
professional, technician and craft levels.
- Craft courses were transferred to the Singapore Vocational Institute
to make way for expansion and upgrading of professional and technician
- Professional diploma courses were gradually replaced by degree
courses. Department of Engineering became School of Engineering with
several Departments including Mechanical Engineering Department.
- Decision was taken to transfer degree courses to the University of Singapore.
- The Polytechnic restructured into School of Industrial Technology
and School of Nautical Studies and a two-year Industrial Technician
Certificate (ITC) programme introduced.
- Mechanical Engineering Department became known as Department of Mechanical & Production Engineering.
- Launch of Technician Diploma in Production Engineering.
- Department of Mechanical & Production Engineering was divided into the Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Department of Production Engineering.
- ITC courses were transferred to the Industrial Training Board.
- Singapore Polytechnic restructured into nine academic departments and divisions. The two Departments came back together as one Department of Mechanical & Production Engineering.
- All full-time Technician Diploma courses were restructured and revamped to cater for high technology needs.
- Department of Mechanical & Production Engineering was renamed as the Department of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering at a time when manufacturing was one of the key sectors of the Singapore economy.
- Launch of Advanced Diploma in Industrial Engineering and Management.
- Launch of Management Diploma in Quality Assurance.
- Launch of the Diploma in Mechatronics (under the School of EEE then).
- Launch of Diploma in Materials Engineering.
- Launch of Advanced Diploma in Supply Chain Management.
- All academic departments were renamed as schools to better reflect
their central role in offering programmes to prepare students for work
- The Department of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering was renamed as the School of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering.
- Transfer of Diploma in Mechatronics from School of EEE to School of MM.
- Launch of Advanced Diploma in "Aerospace Engineering and Management" course for the Republic of Singapore Air Force.
- Launch of Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering and the Specialist Diploma in Pharmaceutical Secondary Manufacturing.
- Launch of Specialist Diploma in Cleanroom Technology.
- Launch of Specialist Diploma in Supply Chain Management and the Diploma Plus - Certificate in Business.
- Launch of Diploma in Bioengineering.
- Launch of Diploma in Resort Facilities Services and Management and
introduction of the Bio-manufacturing and Sports & Rehabilitation
Options in Bio-engineering.
- Renamed School of Mechanical & Aeronautical Engineering.
- Diploma in Mechatronics was renamed as Diploma in Mechatronics and Robotics.
Over the years that followed, new courses were added to cater to the
rapid changing needs of manpower training in Singapore. Our current
courses include :
1. Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering
2. Diploma in Bio-engineering
3. Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
4. Diploma in Mechatronics and Robotics
5. Engineering with Business
(jointly offered with School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering and SP Business School)
6. Engineering Systems
(jointly offered with the School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering)