36 hours / 5 days
8:30am to 5:30pm (Mon to Fri)
Mode of Training:
Facilitated Learning (Online Synchronous) and Practical Training
The use of gas, such as LNG, and other low-flashpoint fuels as ships’ fuel has increased in recent years and poses additional safety challenges. To manage such challenges, the IMO adopted the International Code of Safety for Ships using Gases or other Low-flashpoint Fuels (IGF Code) in 2015 and added related aspects to STCW convention
This training course allows seafarers to comply with Regulation V/3 of the STCW Convention, ‘Mandatory minimum requirements for the training and qualifications of masters, ratings and other personnel on ships subject to the IGF Code.’
The course is designed for the seafarers responsible for fuels and fuels on board ships subject to the IGF Code. The course content complies with Section A-V/3, paragraph 2 of the STCW Code
• Familiarity with physical and chemical properties of fuels aboard ships subject to the IGF Code
• Operate controls of fuel related to propulsion plant and engineering systems and services and safety devices on ships subject to the IGF Code
• Plan and monitor safe bunkering, stowage and securing of the fuel on board ships subject to the IGF Code
• Knowledge of safe procedures and checklists for taking fuel tanks in and out of service
• Take precautions to prevent pollution of the environment from the release of fuels from ships subject to the IGF Code
• Monitor and control compliance with legislative requirements
• Ability to safely perform and monitor all operations related to the fuels used on board ships subject to the IGF Code
• Design and characteristics of ships subject to the IGF Code
• Knowledge of ship design, systems and equipment found on ships subject to the IGF Code
• Knowledge of fuel system theory and characteristics, including types of fuel system pumps and their safe operation on board ships subject to the IGF Code
• Proficiency in the use of the IGF Code and related documents
• Take precautions to prevent hazards
• Take precautions to prevent hazards
• Apply occupational health and safety precautions and measures on board a ship subject to the IGF Code
• Knowledge of the prevention, control and fire-fighting and extinguishing systems on board ships subject to the IGF Code
• LNG Fuel Layout and detailed operations
2nd Engineer (Special Limit),
Chief Engineer (Special Limit),
Chief Mate (Special Limit),
Master (Special Limit) SL,
Ship Captain/Chief Mate,
Chief Engineer / 2nd Engineer
Minimum Entry Requirements / Assumed Skills and Knowledge
Holder of the following certificates:
1. Advanced Fire Fighting Course
2. Basic Training for service on ships subject to the IGF Code
Award / Certification / Accreditation
• Certificate of Attendance (electronic Certificate will be issued)
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to participants who meet at least 75% attendance rate
• Certificate of Performance (electronic Certificate will be issued)
A Certificate of Performance will be awarded to participants who pass the examination and meet at least 75% attendance rate
Eligible for SkillsFuture CreditTerms and Conditions*Please note that once the maximum class size is reached, the online registration will be closed.
You may register your interest, and would be notified if there is new run.
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes:
a) Credit Cards, Internet Banking, NETS (Not Applicable for company sponsored)
For e-payment using Visa/Master cards and Internet Banking, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, you can pay at:
c) For payment via PayNow, please enter the UEN No. T08GB0056ACET and indicate the invoice/registration number.
*With effect from 1 August 2021, cheque payment will not be available.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.