Registration Closing Date:
16 hours / 2 days
8.30am to 5.30pm
Singapore Polytechnic Integrated Simulator Centre (ISC)
Emergency generators, provide limited power in the event of a power outage. They consist of an engine, an alternator, control panels, and possibly a fuel storage tank. The engine drives the generator to create electrical power. The emergency generator set will start automatically on power failure of the main electrical power supply and coupled to the emergency switchboard to maintain the electrical supply to essential services.
Improper or poorly maintained generator sets are more prone to failure and are more likely to fail when needed most. The most common engine failures can be attributed to the starting, cooling, lubrication or fuel delivery systems. Failure of the electric generator is often attributed to excessive moisture in the generator windings. These types of failures can be minimized or prevented, by implementing regularly scheduled, comprehensive, generator maintenance and testing programs.
To equip participants with the required written and practical knowledge and competencies to operate emergency standby generators:
- risk assessment of the emergency generator room and the generators
- standard operating procedures – checking and fulfilling all the necessary requirement before starting of the engine
- fault diagnostics and remedies
- knowledge of the mechanism of the main electrical switchboard and how to operate (synchronizing and putting on load)
- Introduction to Standby Generators
- Components of Emergency Standby Generators
- Operation of Emergency Standby Generators
- Storage of Fuel (diesel) and Fuel Replenishment Plan & Procedures
- Trouble-shooting of Emergency Standby Generators covering tripping and failure
- Safety Instructions/Procedures of handling Emergency Standby Generators
- Hands-on training on operation of Emergency Standby Generators
- Hands-on training on the operation of the Electrical main switchboard
- Written Test
- Practical Test
Operators dealing with Standby Generators
Assumed Skills and Knowledge
Knowledge of Standby Generators
Award / Certification / Accreditation
Certificate of Performance
$440 (excluding GST)
$470.80 (including GST)
Withdrawal and Deferment
Withdrawal and deferment notice must be made in writing to the Professional & Adult Continuing Education (PACE) Academy, Singapore Polytechnic via email accordingly:Online Courses
- email@example.comAll other Courses
For withdrawal cases, the portion of course fee to be refunded is based on the date of notice as follows:Classroom
- 2 weeks before the commencement of the course - Full refund
- Less than 2 weeks before commencement of the course - 70% refund
- On or after date of commencement - No refund
- There will be no refund or transfer of course once the account has been created.
The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel or postpone any of the courses. Applicants will be duly notified and where applicable, the full fees will be refunded.
The Singapore Polytechnic also reserves the right to amend the fees charged or the period and duration of the courses.
The data provided to Singapore Polytechnic will be kept strictly confidential and will be used for the purpose of course administration. The data may be passed on to the relevant organisations that require the information related to the course.
Registration may be closed once seats are filled up
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes:
a) Credit Cards, Internet Banking, NETS (Not Applicable for company sponsored)
For e-payment using Visa/Master cards and Internet Banking, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, you can pay at:
Please make cheques payable to “Singapore Polytechnic”. Do cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number at the back of the cheque. When you have completed required details, you may mail the cheque here.
Please note that an administrative charge of $15 will be imposed for any returned cheques from the bank or financial institution.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.