Diploma in Landscape Architecture (DLA - S94)


What's the different between Architecture & Landscape Architecture?

Architecture is the design of building and spaces within the building while landscape architecture deal mainly with the external spaces that may include parks, gardens and public open spaces with small amenities like water features, pavilions, shelters and amphitheatre. Landscape uses more plants and greenery as materials to form spaces.

Do I need to be good at drawings to enter the course?

Not necessarily. Having good drawing skills is an asset but the programme will guide you to express your drawing skills through tutorials. Other means of expressing your design ideas can be in the form of digital presentation using computer softwares such as Photoshop, Auto-cad and Sketch-up. These will be taught as part of the curriculum.

Must I know plants?

It is not necessary at the point where you start, however the programme will have modules to train you understand and know selected plants for the purpose of space creation. We will guide you sequentially to beef up your knowledge on plants through site visits, lectures and tutorials.

It is about Garden Design?

Garden Design is part of the activities. Landscape in a wider sense involves planning, ecology, biodiversity, space design, technology and issues related to people, history, culture and the environment both locally and globally.

Must I take Art or D&T in secondary school?

Art and D&T are not necessary to be enrolled into the course.

What are my career options after this Diploma? Can I be an Architect or Landscape Architect & how?

With your Diploma, you can practice as a Landscape designer, Landscape technologist or landscape manager, and work closely with Landscape Architect in design and documentation. You will need to attain a Degree in Landscape in order to become a Landscape Architect. This can be through further education in Universities that offer the programme.

What are some of the universities available for further studies in this field?

Some of the recommended universities are University of Melbourne (Australia), Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT, Australia), University of Western Australia, Perth and Lincoln University (New Zealand).