11 March 2021
1 February 2021 - 4 March 2021
*Registration will be closed once class is full.
7 hours / 1 day
9am to 5pm
Mode of Training:
Online Asynchronous / Face-to-Face
Singapore Polytechnic / Online
Many working professionals make either personal investments or are involved in some form of financial decisions at work. This includes going through the budgetting process and having to make sound decisions on revenue generation and expenses.
This course will aid individuals to read and interpret Financial Statements and know how to perform Capital Budgeting.
To introduce basic financial concepts to PMETs (professional, manager, executive and technician) so as to enable them to read and interpret Financial Statements and to perform simple capital budgeting for projects.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
• Read and Interpret Financial Statements for decision-making
• Determine the impact of decisions and actions (or non-action) on the “bottom-line” performance of the organisation
• Communicate with confidence when working with colleagues from the finance department
• Understand the common yardsticks used in project evaluation
• What is "finance"?
• Relevance of value creation
2. Use of basic financial tools
• What information do the following convey – Balance Sheet, Profit & Loss Statement
• Using key financial ratios to identify and diagnose financial problems
• Preparation of cash budget
• Learn and apply time value of money concepts to evaluate different streams of cash flow
3. Sources of long term funds
• Different sources of long term funds –
• Preferred stock
• Common stock and
• Retained earnings
• Relevance of WACC (Weighted Average Cost of Capital)
4. Evaluating capital investment decisions
• Characteristics of capital expenditure
• Overview of capital budgeting process
• Capital budgeting techniques
• Payback period
• Net present value
• Internal rate of return
Individuals and PMETs who are interested to know basic finance and its tools.
Minimum Entry Requirements / Assumed Skills and Knowledge
Basic read, write and comprehension of English.
Award / Certification / Accreditation
• Certificate of Attendance (electronic Certificate will be issued)
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to participants who meet at least 75% attendance rate
• Certificate of Performance (electronic Certificate will be issued)
A Certificate of Performance will be awarded to participants who pass the assessment and meet at least 75% attendance rate
*Please note that once the maximum class size is reached, the online registration will be closed.
1. All applications must be made via Online Registration at www.pace.sp.edu.sg
Course fees can be paid by the following payment modes:
a) Credit Cards, Internet Banking, NETS (Not Applicable for company sponsored)
For e-payment using Visa/Master cards and Internet Banking, please click on the ‘Make e-Payment’ button on the acknowledgement page to proceed.
b) For NETS payment, you can pay at:
Please make cheques payable to “Singapore Polytechnic”. Do cross the cheque and write the Registration Reference ID, Applicant Name and NRIC/FIN number at the back of the cheque. When you have completed required
details, you may mail the cheque here.
Please note that an administrative charge of $15 will be imposed for any returned cheques from the bank or financial institution.
2. All successful applicants will be notified with a letter of confirmation via email.