Academic School Talks

Academic School talks are given by the respective Directors of Schools for the benefit of all new full-time students. Following these talks, the Directors will host the respective tea receptions for the new students to get to know their Academic Directors of Schools as well as their class tutors and lecturers.

The Librarian, Student Development Officer and Student leaders will also talk about other aspects of the Polytechnic, which will affect the lives of new students here. Students are welcome to ask questions.

The schedule of the talks will be given to you on the day of enrolment.



When classes commence, the lecturers of each module will advise you accordingly on books and reading list.

Campus Working Hours

The campus is open from 7am - 10pm daily. All students are reminded and urged not to stay in the campus at night beyond the opening hours. However, if there are valid reasons to do so, then they should obtain permission from respective school / department authority who will inform the SP Security Officer so that guards will be briefed to monitor the students and their activities.

Class and Time-Table

You may check your class and time-table one week before the commencement of term through the e-Services/e-Resources (Academic > My timetable). To log in, enter your SPICE user ID & password.

Co-curricular Activities

The provision of a balanced and well-rounded education is part of SP's mission to educate and train our students to excel in work and in life. The Department of Student Development & Alumni Relations (DSA) has played an important institutional role to facilitate the interweaving of students' academic, interpersonal and developmental experiences to realise this holistic education. Co-curricular Activities (CCA) are an integral part of our education system to drive home the message that good subject grades alone are an insufficient gauge of student quality. The current technological revolution, global competition, and push towards a knowledge-based economy require EQ, AQ and soft skills like creativity, leadership abilities, teamwork, flexibility, communication skills, resilience and an enterprising spirit. For more information, visit Life@SP.

Diploma Student Concession Card (Full-time students not receiving an allowance paid by any institution)

Application for Diploma Student Concession Card

All Full-Time matriculated Diploma students from a government or government-aided tertiary institution are eligible to apply for a Diploma Student Concession Card to travel on buses, MRT and LRT.

All Part-time and Post diploma students, irrespective of the courses they are enrolled in, are not eligible for the Diploma Student Concession Card.

Please visit the One Stop Centre website to find out how to apply for a Diploma Student Concession Card.

Eligibility to Sit for Semestral Examinations

Please refer to Exam Time-table and Location under Examinations section, on how to check your exam time-table.

Leave of Absence (LOA)

Students who are unable to attend any classes/tests/assessments, for justifiable reasons (which must be supported by appropriate documentary evidence) must apply for leave of absence in accordance with the 'Conditions for which Leave of Absence' is granted. The online LOA may be accessed from the e-Services/e-Resources > Attendance > Apply/View of Leave of Absence (LOA).

When the reason for absence is known in advance (e.g. CCA events), the application must be submitted two weeks prior to the leave of absence application period. Students must attach a scanned copy of the ORIGINAL documentary proof when submitting the online application. Students are to retain the original hardcopy for verification, if required.

For leave of absence from classes/tests/assessments due to illness, the LOA application must be submitted within two working days after the stipulated MC period. In exceptional circumstances where students are unable to submit the application on time, they may inform the school and request for the LOA to be submitted on their behalf. If verification of the original hardcopy of the documentary proof is required, students must submit the document to their school within 5 working days, failing which the application will be rejected.  Note: For leave of absence due to illness, only medical certificates issued by medical practitioners registered with the Singapore Medical Council will be accepted. (Exception: Malaysian students residing in Johor Bahru may submit medical certificates issued in JB.) All other medical certificates, for example, those issued by Chinese physicians, are not accepted.

Students are not to assume that their application for leave of absence has been approved, they should check the e-Services for the application status or email in their iChat email closer to the period applied for. They must check with their respective School should they have any doubts. It is the responsibility of the students, who have been given approved leave of absence, to ensure that they catch up with the class work, which they have missed. Leave of absence from classes should not be used as an excuse or reason for poor performance in examinations. Alternatively, students can consider deferment.

Students should be informed that redistribution of assessment components (where applicable) arising from approved LOA(s), leading to the calculation of the module grade is subject to an overall module cap of 15% (i.e. floor rule of 85% imposed). For more details, students should check with his/her respective lecturer teaching the module.

For Absence from Semestral Exams, please refer to the Leave of Absence from Semestral Examination.

SP reserves the right to reject any application for leave of absence. An application for leave of absence may also be rejected if the student's course attendance has been irregular, or if the student has not shown satisfactory progress in his class work, course work and in-course assessments during the session.

National Service

NS-liable persons will be granted deferment for Polytechnic Diploma courses if they are able to commence the course before 19 years of age (for Secondary 4 students) or 20 years of age (for Secondary 5 students), as at 1st January of the course commencement year.

NS-liable persons who graduated with Nitec / Higher Nitec qualification from ITE Colleges will be granted deferment for Polytechnic Diploma studies if they are able to commence the course before 21 years of age as at 1st January of the course commencement year. Applications for deferment from ITE graduates who are above 21 years of age as at 1st January of their course commencement year will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

NS-liable persons who are returning from overseas and wish to pursue Polytechnic Diploma studies must seek prior approval from CMPB before applying for their intended course of study. Persons who are deemed to have already attained a first education bar qualification (defined as GCE 'A' Levels, Polytechnic Diploma or equivalent qualifications), be it locally or overseas, will not be granted deferment to pursue another first education bar qualification or another qualification below first education bar.

NS-liable persons must obtain approval from CMPB if they intend to:

  • Change the course of study
  • Change the institution / school

Part-Time Students

Ensure that you have approval from relevant authority to attend part-time/evenings-only courses if you are serving National Service.

Disruption from full-time National Service for full-time studies

Disruption from full-time NS affects both the operational readiness of the unit and the individual. For this reason, disruption is a concession that can only be considered on the basis of equity to allow those from the same school cohort but enlisted in the later intake, to proceed for further studies at the same time as those enlisted in the earlier intake.

In general, NSFs from the same polytechnic diploma cohort are enlisted in either the Jun quarterly intake (earlier intake) or Sep quarterly intake (later intake). The scheduling of the NS enlistment intakes and MINDEF's disruption policy take into account the fact that most Polytechnic students graduate in Apr, and will ORD in the 2nd half of the calendar year.

For example, a Polytechnic graduate who enlisted in the earlier intake in Jun 12 will ORD in time to commence university at NUS, NTU or SMU in Aug 14. Another Polytechnic graduate who enlisted in the later intake in Sep 12 will be eligible for disruption from NS so that he may commence studies at NUS, NTU or SMU in Aug 14, at the same time as his peer who was enlisted earlier in Jun 12. The minority of students who graduate from polytechnic after Apr (e.g. due to repeat of modules, or due to the structure of their academic term), and who are enlisted after the Sep quarterly intake, will not be granted disruption from NS to commence university at NUS, NTU or SMU together with their peers who enlisted earlier, but can continue with their degree studies at these institutions after their ORD.

You may visit the NS Portal (www.ns.sg) for more information on disruption from full-time NS for full-time studies.

Personal Tutorship Network (PTN)

Student-centred learning is a core belief of Singapore Polytechnic. The objective of the personal tutorship network is to foster rapport between lecturers and students through individualized care and support. Students requiring personal assistance should approach the tutors assigned to them.

Refund of Fees

Please refer to the section on 'General Student Matters & Deadlines'. Absence from class does not constitute withdrawal from course: you are still considered a student of the Singapore Polytechnic and are liable to pay fees until you have officially submitted the "Withdrawal Form" and other relevant documents to the Admissions Office.

Student Admission Card

Obtain your student admission card during enrolment or on the date specified. This is a smart card that allows you to enter Singapore Polytechnic (SP) premises via a secured gantry. You will also use this card to enter SP Library. It is your identification document at the Polytechnic. You are required to have the card in your possession at all times whenever you are within SP premises. 

Replace lost or expired student card at One Stop Centre for a fee of $10.00 (excluding of G.S.T) per replacement. You can also apply for a replacement via AXS Kiosk, AXS e-station or AXS m-station app. Click here to find out more: Student Card Replacement

Student Counselling

SP has Student Counsellors who provide counselling and guidance services to students of the Polytechnic. Students may see them for personal, emotional and academic matters. All matters discussed with the Counsellors are kept strictly confidential.

To make for an appointment, submit your request via e-Services/e-Resources > Counselling & Mentoring > Request for Counselling. 

Student Meetings & Notices

Permission must be obtained from the Department of Student Development & Alumni Relations (DSA) for:

  • Meetings with more than 5 students
  • Advertisements or notices for students in the campus.

Touting / Suspicious Activities / Campus Security

If you notice any touting or suspicious activities on campus, please alert the Campus Security @ 6772-1234.

Withdrawal from Course

Please refer to the section on 'General Student Matters & Deadlines'.

The Singapore Polytechnic reserves the right to take any appropriate action it deems necessary where a student fails to comply with withdrawal procedures & regulations.

Any Other Assistance

If you need assistance, apart from contacting your Personal Tutor, you may call us at 6775-1133 or email us at contactus@sp.edu.sg