SEN Support @ Singapore Polytechnic


Singapore Polytechnic is committed to building an inclusive community that promotes a culture of understanding and mutual support that enhances the learning experience and development of students with special educational needs.


How We Work Together


At the start of each semester, you will discuss your needs and the nature of the courses you are taking with us. Most students find that their needs change and evolve during the course of their study


Once we have identified your needs, we will tailor your support to meet these needs. This might include coaching by a SEN counsellor, liaising with academic staff, identifying places to rest, technology, test and exam arrangements or academic support.


We can help you make a plan for the semester, which might include identifying your strengths and goals, how often you will engage with us, how much you want to disclose to others, and to determine how we will work together.


Creating good connections can help make SP feel more like home. We can connect you with your lecturers, SEN counsellors, external support networks or like-minded students.


During the semester, it is a good idea to check in with us to discuss your progress.

Most students do this once they start receiving course feedback. You might need the support you may not have anticipated that you may require.


At the end of the semester, we encourage you to reflect on what worked for you and what did not. How did you find the workload? Did you achieve your goals? Are you happy with the support you are receiving? This will help you plan efficiently for the next semester.


As you get closer to completing your studies, we can connect you with career counsellors and check that you have strong positive disclosure skills to ensure your needs can be met in the workplace. We enjoy keeping in touch with graduates and are always keen to hear your stories.

The Accessible Education Counsellor

THE Accessible Education Counsellor is your key point of contact to

  • Work with you to identify and resolve learning and participating barriers in SP
  • Good knowledge of other services on campus
  • All SEN Counsellors are disability professionals and would be best able to support you

Come prepared for your appointments with your Counsellor so that you can get the most from this valuable time


Key Support Services

SEN Counsellors also work to provide a wide range of services, which are tailored to your individual needs. By discussing your needs, the course you take and the current accessibility level of the course, you and your SEN counsellors can work out the services that are suitable for you.


Accommodations are available for Exams. These arrangements can be recommended by your SEN counsellor to the Exams Office.

As a prerequisite, a student must fill up the Exam Special Arrangements form and submit to school before any exam accommodation can be considered to be given to the student.

You may download the application form via this link



Tailored note taking is when a vendor is employed to take typed lecture notes for you. These are not full notes but are summaries of the lecture content. The notes will be made available to you after each lecture.



Sign language interpreters help students with hearing impairment who use sign language as their preferred language. Interpreters are qualified professionals who follow a code of Ethics. They will interpret lectures and tutorials.



If you think you might have a specific learning disability, we can link you with suitable professionals to identify the issue and provide the support you may need.



An education access plan is a compilation of your goals

  • Your study aims
  • Future direction
  • Strengths
  • Development needs
  • Learning style
  • Other people/agencies involved in your support
  • Details of your general support needs and course support

It is good to think about your goals before meeting your Counsellor as we want to empower you to take ownership of your experience at SP.

Additional Support

These are the other support services that the SEN centre provides: 


A range of Assistive Technology Devices are available for loan, trial and use at the SEN Centre. The devices can come from one of the following categories:

  • Visual impairment
  • Physical impairment
  • Hearing impairment
  • Learning and behavioural difficulties

DISCLAIMER: The list provided above is not the full representation of the devices that the SEN Centre offers. In order to get a more detailed representation, please contact the SEN Centre for details.



Sensory tools are available for trial and loan. Please make an appointment with a SEN counsellor should you require support in the classroom or other learning environments.



The SEN fund is provided by MOE and is applicable under the following conditions:

  • Physical impairment: $5,000
  • Hearing or Visual impairment: Up to $25,000
  • Learning and behavioural difficulties: Up to $5,000

Should you wish to apply for this funding, please make an appointment with a SEN counsellor.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. Do l need to show you verification?

Yes. We do require verification of your impairment. Please bring any relevant supporting documentation you have, such as assessments or reports from health and education professionals such as doctors, psychologists. counsellors. Nevertheless, feel free to approach us even if you do not have a diagnosis. We will be glad to help.


Q2. How do I apply for exams accommodations (e.g. extra time)?

Please inform your Personal Tutor that you would like to have exam accommodations. You must fill in a form that can be obtained from SP's website and submit it with a relevant diagnosis letter that was obtained within the last 3 years. It would be useful to include documentation of previous exams accommodations received during past national exams.


Q3. What do l need to bring for my appointment?

Information relating to your study, specifically:

  • Course codes
  • Outlines
  • Details of course managers, Personal Tutors and lecturers teaching you
  • Dates of tests and assignments (if applicable)


Q4. Am I still eligible for support if I am not Singaporean?

While you may not be able to use the MOE SEN Fund, it is important to reach out to your SEN counsellors. SEN counsellors will be able to advise you on the resources which are available to you.



All the information you supply to us is private. Information will not be made available to any other departments in SP without your prior consent.  The information you provide and the services you receive are not recorded on your academic transcript or diploma certificate. If you have any concerns about privacy and confidentiality or would like more information before giving your consent, please talk to your SEN Counsellor.

Contact Us

Walk-in to make an appointment with us at:
SEN Centre, Blk T17, Level 2, Room 1 (T1721)
Opening Hours
Mondays to Fridays
9.00am - 12.00pm
2.00pm - 5.00pm
Contact Number6775 1133

SP Sustainability Matters