EAE Tips from Our Lecturers and Students
School of Architecture & the Built Environment offers 6 full-time diplomas:
1. What should I include in my write-up?
Your write-up should be about yourself. Some things to include are:
2. What if I don’t have a portfolio or multi-media file? Any advice on creating my portfolio or multi-media file?
- Why do you have an interest in this diploma and career path?
- What are your aspirations? Which aspects of the course do you like and why?
- To demonstrate genuine interest and passion for the diploma course you are applying for.
Start preparing now. Your portfolio or multi-media file does not need to consist of many items, as we are looking for quality over quantity! Just a few good ones to showcase relevant content of the course you are interested in and to represent your style.
Things you can include in your portfolio (for DARCH, DLA, DID applications):
3. Do I need to have a Built Environment, Humanities, Media & Design background?
- Drawings/sketches/doodles/photos or even design attempts – a collection of works that represent what you as a future designer can offer.
- To arrange in a thematic manner (For example, a series of photography or a series of charcoal sketches).
- Softcopy digital portfolio / e-portfolio format required (PDF, website, blog).
For some diplomas, the fundamentals of specific subjects are important. For example, Mathematics and Sciences, especially Physics, is important for the Diploma in Civil Engineering.4. What is the EAE interview like? Is there a dress code?
The majority of our interviews are individual interviews with the exception of the Diploma in Integrated Events & Project Management which is a group interview. For face to face interviews, you must wear your school uniform. For online interviews, you can wear smart casual outfits.5. How can I better prepare for my interview?
You might want to think about the following questions that your interviewers might ask:
- Why did you choose this Diploma?
- What do you know about this Diploma?
- What do you know about this industry or its career path?
- Related experiences, eg. Related competitions, internships, participation in related workshops
- Share with us a challenging situation? Name one challenge you faced, whether at school, CCA or during a part-time job. How did you overcome that?
- What are your strength and weaknesses? Use 3 words to describe yourself
More advice on being prepared:
- Be yourself at the interviews. No right or wrong answers.
- We want to get to know you, and your experiences and assess your passion, interest as well as suitability for the course of your indicated choice.
- Be punctual for your appointment.
- Research on the industry and course.